Joe DeCamillis hired as new South Carolina football special teams coordinator

<p>Senior placekicker Mitch Jeter kicks a ball held by senior punter Kai Kroeger after a touchdown during South Carolina’s 41-39 loss to Florida on Oct. 14, 2023 at Williams-Brice Stadium. The Gamecocks finished the 2023 season with a record of 5-7.</p>
Senior placekicker Mitch Jeter kicks a ball held by senior punter Kai Kroeger after a touchdown during South Carolina’s 41-39 loss to Florida on Oct. 14, 2023 at Williams-Brice Stadium. The Gamecocks finished the 2023 season with a record of 5-7.

The University of South Carolina board of trustees met on Monday to approve the contract of Joe DeCamillis, who was announced as the South Carolina football team's new special teams coordinator.

The coaching change follows the departure of former assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Pete Lembo, who was hired to be the head football coach at the University of Buffalo on Jan. 21.

DeCamillis will earn a base salary of $800,000 each year of his three-year contract, which runs until the end of the 2026 season. He will also have the opportunity to earn more than $100,000 in bonuses if certain performance-based incentives are met.

He spent the 2023 season as a special assistant to the head coach at the University of Texas at Austin. Prior to joining the Longhorns, he coached special teams in the NFL for more than 30 years, winning two Super Bowls — one with the Denver Broncos in 2016 and the other with the Los Angeles Rams in 2021.

DeCamillis' hire marks the third coaching change South Carolina has made this offseason. The team previously hired James Coley to be the team's new wide receivers coach on Jan. 12 and Marquel Blackwell to be the team's new running backs coach on Jan. 19.