Column: Grubhub delivery robots provide entertainment on USC campus

<p>A University of South Carolina Grubhub robot zooming along Greene Street on Feb. 25, 2024. The university has implemented a new food delivery system for students to use on campus where small, six-wheeled robots deliver them food at their request if ordered through the Grubhub app.</p>
A University of South Carolina Grubhub robot zooming along Greene Street on Feb. 25, 2024. The university has implemented a new food delivery system for students to use on campus where small, six-wheeled robots deliver them food at their request if ordered through the Grubhub app.

A new era of technological innovation — and humor — has begun as Grubhub robots take the University of South Carolina campus by storm. 

This product has become a source of entertainment for those on campus, as they are viewed almost like petsnot just a new source of food delivery. The University can expect to see students looking forward to the arrival of more robots.

“I honestly think they're pretty cute, and I think they're pretty efficient from what I’ve heard,” second-year marketing student Sam Keezer said. 

Students typically use the word “cute” in regard to the squirrels on campus or for Figaro (aka "Figgy"), the celebrity cat who lounges around Gambrell Hall. But students are now voicing their love for USC's robots on social media apps such as YikYak, a platform where students can anonymously upload photos, videos and messages. 

During the week of Valentine's Day, one user posted a picture of two robots sitting face-to-face with the caption "even the robots got valentines." The post received almost three hundred upvotes from other students. 

The robots were first announced at the beginning of February, and USC was the first institution in the state to receive them. These robots, developed by Starship Technologies in partnership with Grubhub, travel around campus using a combination of sensors and artificial intelligence.

As these machines are an unfamiliar piece of technology, some of their functions may go wrong. Students are quick to view these mishaps as amusing moments. 

"A lot of them — they'll bump into people, and people will laugh," said a first-year biology student Brittany Escandon. "I find it entertaining." 

pull-quotes-2022 (1).png

The robots sometimes have trouble navigating their way through campus for deliveries due to heavy student traffic during the day. Watching a tiny robot roll its way through a sea of quickly moving students is a new source of comedy. 

As these machines trek across popular areas such as Greene Street and outside of Russell House, it feels like watching a baby walk for the first time, or a dog running after a ball. 

Posts on YikYak of these robots also included captions such as "my child" with a hand reaching toward the machine and "the PDA on this campus is insane" with two robots running into each other. Both of these posts gained a lot of traction on the app. 

Feedback on the robots among students have been mixed as some students view them as a nuisance. But many students are giving positive feedback since their practical use has resulted in a new source of entertainment for bystanders.

As their robots complete their programmed job to deliver food, students still seek amusement in their arranged routine. 

"They're heading to war," posted one Yik Yak user alongside a picture of two robots eerily moving toward each other in the night.

These food delivery robots have become a vital source of comedic relief on USC's campus. Their small size and voice command programming has allowed for students to treat them in a more humanizing and pet-like way. Witnessing the robots during their first month at the University of South Carolina has been fun. 

Their future on campus will be positive. Due to their viral presence on social media, students will continue to use them to experience something entertaining, all while getting meals delivered right to their door. They may even attract prospective students as they are viewable on campus tours. 

These robots are skilled, practical and interesting for all at USC.