Manchester United, Liverpool set to face-off in historic match at Williams-Brice Stadium

<p>FILE — The press box of Williams-Brice Stadium is alight ahead of the Gamecocks' matchup against UNC Charlotte on Sept. 24, 2022. Manchester United and Liverpool are set to play at the stadium in August.</p>
FILE — The press box of Williams-Brice Stadium is alight ahead of the Gamecocks' matchup against UNC Charlotte on Sept. 24, 2022. Manchester United and Liverpool are set to play at the stadium in August.

English Premier League teams Manchester United and Liverpool will face off at Williams-Brice Stadium in August, Gamecock Athletics announced Friday. 

The two teams will play on Aug. 3 as a part of the three-city Rivals in Red Tour. The match will be the largest international soccer match in the history of South Carolina. 

Gamecock Football released a video on X, formerly known as Twitter, at noon of head coach Shane Beamer announcing that two of the world's most popular clubs will face off in Columbia. 

“We are excited to host two of the greatest sports brands in the world at Williams-Brice Stadium,” athletics director Ray Tanner told Gamecocksonline. “We look forward to having this wonderful and historic match, bringing soccer fans to attend from all over our state and region to the Midlands. This event highlights the collaborative spirit between the University, the city and the state.” 

Liverpool sits at the top of the 2023-24 Premier League tables with Manchester United in sixth.

Liverpool has garnered 19 league titles, eight FA cups and six European Cups. Manchester United has won every major trophy in England and Europe along with a record 20 league titles. 

Pre-sale for tickets will go on sale on Feb. 26 at 9 a.m. Ticket sales for the general public will go live on Feb. 27 at 9 a.m.