USC students express creativity, school spirit with alumna artist Summer Doodles

<p>Summer Rogers helps a student during her canvas painting class on Feb. 8, 2024. The free class, hosted by alumna Rodgers, allowed students to create their own USC-themed paintings.</p>
Summer Rogers helps a student during her canvas painting class on Feb. 8, 2024. The free class, hosted by alumna Rodgers, allowed students to create their own USC-themed paintings.

USC students were joined by artist and alumna Summer Rogers, professionally known as Summer Doodles, to create Gamecock-themed paintings in Russell House at the Thursday after Dark event "Painting with Summer Doodles" on Feb. 8. 

Rogers has held classes with different colleges and sororities across the country while promoting herself as an artist from the Columbia area since her graduation from USC.  

She gave students step-by-step instructions through each part of the process, which was friendly to both beginners and more advanced artists. Rogers encouraged students to put their own personality and spin on their art.

The event showcased Summer Doodles' prints and featured a popup shop at the end for students to purchase her work.

Each student embraced the art in their own unique way. Students were given a template, but they had the liberty to choose their color palette and a USC-themed phrase to incorporate on their canvas. First-year criminal justice student Emily Denton attended the event with friends and said she enjoys Rogers' artwork.

“I just love the style. I feel like it’s really bright and colorful, and it looks good in a dorm. It really ties everything together,” Denton said. 

Rogers attributes the inspiration for her art style to a trip to Haiti she took at age 16.

Rogers volunteered at an orphanage during her time there, and said from that point on, she wanted to spread happiness. She said the experience of bringing happiness to the children there gave her a new perspective, which manifested in the brightness of her art. 

“One thing I love about it is that it brings joy to everyone. It’s related to collegiate designs, and that’s something that when I was a student, I wanted to decorate and support my Gamecocks,” Rogers said. 

summer doodlespng.png

Rogers connected with students at Russell House with her welcoming demeanor. The event provided an experience for students to express their creative sides, and the artist had a completely full house of students ready to paint.

Rogers graduated from USC with a broadcast journalism degree and said it was helpful in developing her business. She used her degree to start her YouTube channel and help bring more attention to her business. She is a team of one, handling marketing, event coordination and everything else that goes on behind the scenes herself. 

As an alumna, she spoke to classes throughout the week about her life as a woman in business leading up to the event.

Eloise Woodalm, a third-year International Business and Supply Chain Management student, attended one of Rogers' lectures at USC's Women in Business club. Woodalm said she was looking forward to the event and commended Rogers on her business

Even with the absence of a team, @SummerrDoodles on Instagram, Tiktok and Facebook has amassed more than 10,000 followers. Continuing her popup art events, Rogers said this semester she will be going to Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State among others.

Rogers was also a member of Greek Life in her time at USC and was a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She said her sisters were her support system, encouraging her to follow her passion for pop art, but her love for the craft has been a lifelong experience.

“I think that the influence and the style of my art is honestly just who I am coming out onto the canvas,” Rogers said.