Dawn Staley receives Coach of the Year awards from Associated Press, WBCA

<p>Gamecock women’s basketball head coach Dawn Staley (left) and Iowa senior guard Caitlin Clark (right) laugh while walking off stage after receiving their AP Coach and Player of the year awards, respectively. This is Staley's second time winning the AP Coach of the Year award. Staley also earned the Women's Basketball Coaches Association award for the third consecutive year and the fourth time in five years.</p>
Gamecock women’s basketball head coach Dawn Staley (left) and Iowa senior guard Caitlin Clark (right) laugh while walking off stage after receiving their AP Coach and Player of the year awards, respectively. This is Staley's second time winning the AP Coach of the Year award. Staley also earned the Women's Basketball Coaches Association award for the third consecutive year and the fourth time in five years.

South Carolina head women's basketball coach Dawn Staley received national recognitions from both the Associated Press and Women's Basketball Coaches Association on Thursday.

Staley was recognized as the AP's Women's Basketball Coach of the Year for the second time after previously winning the award in 2020.

"(I want to) say thank you to the AP voters," Staley said. "I know it's a subjective space to be in, and I know there are a lot worthy coaches with this trophy to be had."

She was also named the WBCA National Coach of the Year for the third season in a row and the fourth time in her career overall.

"Thank you to the voters, my peers, for another tremendous honor — an honor to represent this trophy, obviously, with the people that, again, they do the heavy lifting, they work behind the scenes," Staley said. "I'm the one that's hoisting the trophy, but I certainly know where my bread is buttered, and I really appreciate all of you all for sacrificing so much, working so hard (and) agreeing to disagree agreeably."

These two awards are not the only ones she has received this week, as she became the first women's basketball coach to be named the Naismith Coach of the Year three consecutive times on Wednesday.

Staley has led the Gamecocks to a 36-0 overall record during the 2023-24 season, including a 19-0 mark against conference opponents during the regular season and SEC Tournament. South Carolina clinched a second consecutive undefeated regular season this year and has lost just three total games over the past three seasons.

Over the course of her 16-year tenure with the Gamecocks, Staley's teams have gone a combined 438-106 (80.5% win percentage) and made 12 appearances in the NCAA Tournament. South Carolina has won two national championships and reached the Final Four seven times in that time span.