Senior center Kamilla Cardoso declares for 2024 WNBA Draft

<p>FILE - Senior center Kamilla Cardoso goes up for a shot during South Carolina's game against Vanderbilt at Colonial Life Arena on Jan. 28, 2024. Cardoso announced on April 1, 2024 that she will be declaring for the 2024 WNBA Draft.</p>
FILE - Senior center Kamilla Cardoso goes up for a shot during South Carolina's game against Vanderbilt at Colonial Life Arena on Jan. 28, 2024. Cardoso announced on April 1, 2024 that she will be declaring for the 2024 WNBA Draft.

Senior center Kamilla Cardoso took to social media on Monday to announce that she will declare for the 2024 WNBA Draft. Cardoso made the decision ahead of South Carolina's Final Four matchup against NC State on Friday. 

"I am excited to announce that I am declaring for the 2024 WNBA Draft," Cardoso said in a statement posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. "Thank you to everyone who has been a part of my journey so far. I am excited for what the future holds and can't wait to see where this next chapter takes me."

Cardoso heads into the Final Four as the Gamecocks' leading scorer and rebounder, averaging 14.1 points and 9.4 rebounds per game. She also added 77 total blocks and 20 steals on her way to being named this year's SEC Defensive Player of the Year, as well as one of eight players on the All-SEC First Team.

Cardoso has averaged 10.5 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game over the course of her three-year career as a Gamecock, and was a member of the South Carolina team that won the national championship in 2021-22.

Cardoso had an additional year of eligibility that she could have used to continue playing for South Carolina after having her freshman season cut short by the COVID-19 pandemic.