The Daily Gamecock


More from News

Fire Alarm clears Woodrow

The fire alarm in Woodrow College, an on-campus apartment building on Greene Street across from Russell House, blared around 3 p.m., causing occupants to evacuate the residence hall. The cause? Burnt toast. Alice Higgins, a third-year study abroad student majoring in English and history, nervously identified herself as the culprit. “We were all just sitting here,” Higgins said. She had her first-floor door propped open, airing out her apartment. “I flipped the toaster to dark, and all of a sudden it was smoking. The fire department decided to give us a visit.” Higgins said there was no penalty or serious consequence. “They rolled their eyes and said it happens all the time,” she said.