Late thrillers power both South Carolina soccer teams

<p>Junior Raina Johnson scored in double-overtime to lead the Gamecocks past Boston Friday.</p>
Junior Raina Johnson scored in double-overtime to lead the Gamecocks past Boston Friday.

Men’s, women’s soccer combine for 3 weekend wins

This weekend served as the first of the season that both the men’s and women’s soccer teams were in regular season action.

Head coach Mark Berson’s men’s team opened its 2014 campaign with a 1-0 win over Belmont Friday, and the women’s team led by head coach Shelley Smith claimed two victories over the weekend. The Gamecocks beat Boston University Friday and moved past Milwaukee Sunday to give them an unbeaten 4-0 record on the year.

Turner takes charge

In Friday’s season opener, the men’s soccer team came launched out of the gates. The Gamecocks’ fast start saw them outshoot Belmont 9-2 in the first half and 9-1 in the second half, but South Carolina’s bevy of chances at the opposing goal all came up empty.

The two teams entered overtime tied at zero, and the scoreline would remain that way until sophomore Kurtis Turner fired the game-winning shot from outside the box in the 106th minute.

The Gamecocks would outshoot the Bruins 26-5 on the day, but only Turner’s second-overtime rip would prove successful, with the final score reading 1-0.

“The guys never hung their heads. They kept after it and they took the game to the opponent,” Berson said. “We got the result and I’m really pleased with that.”

Smith reaches coaching milestone

The South Carolina women’s soccer team provided Gamecock fans with excitement from start to finish this weekend. In Friday’s men’s and women’s doubleheader, Smith’s women’s team set the precedent for the men with a double overtime victory of their own.

After 103 minutes of scoreless play, junior Raina Johnson netted the game winner to give her head coach win No. 199 of her coaching career. Smith earned her coveted 200th win that following Sunday behind a two-goal performance from sophomore Sophie Groff.

“I don’t keep track of the wins, but the team’s happy for me,” Smith said. “I’m so pleased for our staff and our program here. It is an accomplishment to get that many. I thank the team for their efforts and what they’re doing to continue those wins.”