Gender equality guest column: Dawn Campbell

I started my college career at the University of South Carolina as a psychology [major] and English minor. At that time, I knew nothing of women’s studies. Over halfway through my undergraduate program, I signed up for a postmodernism course, which evolved into a Third World women writers class. This is the class that changed the course of my life. The professor was unlike any other. I was both overwhelmed and enlightened by the course content and structure. I had never taken a class that was student-centered; we were encouraged to speak freely and to engage in literary discussion circles. My mind began twisting and turning as we read women’s literature and deconstructed language.

I began seeing the world and people differently — clearly. My consciousness was raised, as I began to think about and question everything. We read multigenre texts, feminist texts, poetry, commentaries, etc. Much of the literature that we explored — Simone de Beauvoir’s "The Second Sex," Gloria Anzaldua’s "Borderlands," Bell Hooks’ "Talking Back" and others — remains at the top of my favorites list. The literature and dialogue not only explored the commonalities of women; it also explored the differences among women regarding their cultures and beliefs. There was a common theme among the works that we read: the experiences of one gender inevitably affect other genders. I was so enlightened and intrigued that I changed my major to women’s studies.

Soon after I graduated, the women’s studies program expanded to women’s and gender studies, and a graduate certificate component was added. Since I had a passion for teaching and for women’s studies, I decided to return and complete the graduate certificate in WGST so that I could teach WGST courses (this was after I obtained my masters in teaching degree). I have had the privilege of watching the WGST program grow and develop into an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary plethora of teaching and learning. In fact, the program celebrates 40 years this year! I feel honored to be a part of the program and to share my knowledge of and commitment to women’s studies.

While I’ve taught several courses for the program, the course I primarily teach is women in culture. Within women in culture we explore the ways women confront and create culture through an examination of the history of the women’s movement and women’s studies, feminist concepts and ideas, gender and sexuality, media representations of girls and women, violence against women, LGBTQ related issues and privilege and inequality. While women are at the forefront of inquiry, students learn that there are no “women’s only” issues. There are people’s issues. This is the philosophy I project to students each semester.

The argument that women’s and gender studies courses are for women only is a myth. In the four years I’ve taught women’s and gender studies courses at USC, I have watched the classes diversify. Since many of the classes are now offered as social science credit, class sizes have grown. This has brought about a paradigm shift. We now have a diversity of majors, ethnicities, backgrounds, etc. within WGST classes. Also, many of the classes are offered as hybrid and asynchronous (online). I constructed an online version of the women in culture course a couple years ago, and to my pleasant surprise, the class is in high demand each semester! I always advise students to register early, as these classes fill early.

There are many ways students can become involved in the women’s and gender studies program. The program offers a major, minor and graduate certificate and is affiliated with the women’s well-being initiative, which is a community outreach program. There are many opportunities for connecting classroom to community — a vital component of learning.