Freshman phenom sparks offense

Freshmen rarely have immediate impacts on college baseball teams, especially on a team that began the season ranked No. 5 in the country. When a freshman for that team hits cleanup on opening day, he’s special.

Alex Destino entered this season with huge expectations. Known for his great power in high school, many analysts pegged him as a home run specialist but questioned his ability to hit for the kind of average necessary for an SEC designated hitter. Still, Destino was the only freshman named to Baseball America’s All-America team.

The third-team All-American selection has been key to South Carolina’s success this year. However, with great power comes great responsibility, and as Destino goes, the Gamecocks go.

“Alex is a key part,” head coach Chad Holbrook said. “I hate putting that on a freshman, but he needs to do well for us to do well. He's a threat and can provide protection for Kyle Martin or Max (Schrock) depending on how we do the lineup. I have a lot of confidence in him."

Through the 10 games that Destino has started this season, he is hitting .325 with three homeruns and 11 RBIs.

The Gamecocks are 8-3 with Destino in the starting lineup. In those eight wins, Destino is 12-29 with three homeruns, 10 RBIs and just one strikeout. However, in the three losses, Destino is hitting a dismal .091 with one RBI and six strikeouts.

Much of the Gamecocks’ offensive prowess has come from unlikely sources this season. Junior Max Schrock has struggled this season, forcing pressure on other players. Even as a freshman, Destino has stepped up as a leader — a hitter that can create a spark.

In the third game of the opening weekend College of Charleston series, South Carolina was tied 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth. With a runner on and a 2-2 count, Destinohit a 2-2 pitch over the right field fence to give the Gamecocks a 5-3 lead. The team won 8-3 and took the series.

One week later, with the Gamecocks clinging to a 3-2 lead, Destino crushed a three-run homer to solidify the win. After the game, Destino talked about part of his motivation.

“I’d like to prove to people that I’m not only here to hit it out of the ballpark,” Destino said. “I aspire to hit a really high average, you know, get on base as much as I can.”

In his senior year of high school, the 53rd-ranked player in the nation did everything for North Buncombe High School in North Carolina. As a hitter, Destino broke his school record for home runs with 15, while putting up an astonishing .529 batting average and 43 RBIs.

Destino was also a standout high school pitcher. He baffled hitters on his way to a 10-1 record and 1.43 ERA. At the moment, Holbrook wants Destino to focus on hitting, but he could see time on the mound at some point in his career.

Some of the expectations for Destino may be unrealistic. However, he brings power to the lineup that the Gamecocks have lacked in recent years. As he continues to grow as a player, Destino could help take the Gamecocks deep into the summer.

Destino Delivers 

Charleston Southern battled most of the game, taking a 4-3 lead into the bottom of the seventh inning. From there, Destino worked his magic. The Gamecocks played small ball, plating two runs to take the lead 5-4. Destino walked up to the plate with the bases loaded. He found his pitch and turned on it to blast his first career grand slam. The Gamecocks won 10-4.

Schrock found a groove. The junior second baseman went 3-4 with two RBIs while Gene Cone extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a 3-5 performance.

Up Next: High Point

South Carolina hosts 2-7 High Point Wednesday at 4 p.m. The game is a makeup for last Tuesday's Davidson game that was rained out. Holbrook and associate head coach Jerry Meyers have yet to announce Wednesday's starting pitcher.