Migos performs to hyped up crowd Saturday night

Following a tough loss for Gamecock football to the University of Florida, the popular Atlanta-based rap group Migos brought “Fight Night” to Columbia in a post-game concert Saturday.

Presented by seven different USC fraternities, Migos was originally set to perform in the fraternity parking lots off of Shop Road immediately following the game.

With only a few hours until game time, however, rumors began to circulate among the student body that the concert was to be canceled. Migos did perform for students on Saturday evening, but the concert was moved from Shop Road to a space next to The Horseshoe bar in Five Points.

To the dismay of many students, this change of venue resulted in an extremely long line to gain entrance to the show, as well as a very tightly packed crowd. However, many of those who attended still seemingly enjoyed the concert.

Migos is comprised of three members, Quavious “Quavo” Marshall, Kirshnik “Takeoff” Ball and Kiari “Offset” Cephus. The group formed in 2009 and is managed by Coach K, the former manager of other popular artists including Gucci Mane and Young Jeezy.

The group became famous in 2013 following the release of their track “Versace.” The track became even more popular when rap icon Drake got on board to be part of the remix of the track. Later that year, Migos released their mixtape “Y.R.N. (Young Rich N-----),” and their success only continued from there.

Migos, who released their most recent album “Rich Shooters” earlier this month, is seemingly extremely popular among college students for their clever lyrics and cool, unique beats.

The group took the stage in Five Points early Saturday evening following the game and got the crowd excited by performing many of their popular hits including, “Fight Night,” from their widely beloved album, “No Label II,” which was released in 2014. The group also treated the crowd to live performances of their other hits, “Handsome and Wealthy,” “Versace” and their more recent track “One Time.”

Drew Dawson, third-year student and member of Beta Theta Pi, was in attendance at the show Saturday evening and expressed his excitement in regards to finally seeing the rap group live.

“The change in venue was not ideal, but it was honestly just awesome to see them live,” Dawson said. “The atmosphere was chill, and when they played 'Fight Night' everybody went crazy. It was a great night.”