Cone makes history as South Carolina defeats Missouri in finale

Outfielder Gene Cone broke South Carolina's record for the longest hitting streak in school history and propelled the Gamecocks to 9-2 victory to sweep Missouri. 

Adam Hill turned in one of his best starts of the season, working 6 1/3 scoreless innings while scattering four hits and striking out eight batters. Early on in the outing the right-hander ran his sinking fastball out of the zone to generate swings and misses. In his second and third trips through the order, he pitched backwards, or in other words used his off-speed weapons early in the count to establish his fastball later. The 19-year-old freshman continued to show composure well beyond his years on the mound. 

Hill certainly shined in his outing, but Gene Cone's five-hit performance was the clear story of the day. In the first inning the junior right fielder tripled to the right-center gap. The three-base knock extended his hitting-streak to 27 games, eclipsing former South Carolina star Whit Merrifield's 26-game streak for the longest in program history. Cone received a standing ovation from the Founders Park faithful and would score later in the inning on a single from center fielder TJ Hopkins. 

After doubling off the right field wall in the third, Cone would go on to score again on another RBI-single from Hopkins. In the fourth inning he hit a sharp single back up the middle to drive in two more runs. In the sixth he would add to his RBI total by driving in shortstop Marcus Mooney with a double to left center field. Cone would single again in the eighth inning and go on to score his third run of the day on a hit by catcher John Jones. 

Cone's stellar day at the plate capped off an incredible weekend where he went 10-12 with five extra base hits. 

On reaching the 27-hit milestone Cone stated that, "I am just very thankful and very grateful to be a part of something like that."  

Coach Chad Holbrook added that, "He has been on a great run. He's a very confident kid. He put his time in and his work, and it always great to see that hard work being paid off." 

Overshadowed by Cone's heroics, Hopkins drove in three runs on three hits and also stole two bases. Alex Destino, who got the start in the designated hitter slot, also picked up three hits and drove in a pair of runs. 

The Gamecocks will not play a midweek game this week and will have plenty of time to prepare for No. 2 Florida. The Gators will tavel to Columbia, South Carolina a game behind South Carolina in the SEC East. The series is scheduled to start Friday at 7 p.m.