Column: South Carolina deserving of top-25 ranking

The South Carolina Men’s basketball team is on a quest to prove that they were overlooked and should have received a tournament berth last season. Led by one of the most dynamic backcourts in college basketball, the Gamecocks have thus far shown they not only deserve to make the NCAA tournament, but that they are worthy of their newly received top-25 ranking.

This past week, the Gamecocks boosted their resume with their first wins over ranked opponents, defeating the No. 25 Michigan and No. 18 Syracuse in commanding fashion, winning by 15 points and 14 points, respectively. South Carolina proved that they have the weapons on offense and are capable of making key defensive stops on their quest to March Madness.

With Sindarius Thornwell, Duane Notice, and PJ Dozier leading the Gamecocks’ backcourt this season, South Carolina has relied on their ability to run up the score to dominate their opponents. The trio, who account for 40 of the Gamecocks’ 74 points per game, have displayed their scoring ability in nearly every game the team has played this season, leading the Gamecocks to an undefeated record and a ranking atop the SEC Conference.

The Gamecocks’ defense has also been a force for the successful South Carolina team, allowing only 56.6 points this season. Syracuse, a team that averages over 44 points in their first halves alone, was held to a mere 50 points in the entire game. Their defensive ability gives the Gamecocks one of the most well rounded teams in college basketball and makes them a force to be watched as the season unfolds.

South Carolina is equipped with strong weapons, not only in their star-studded backcourt, but also in big men Maik Kotsar and Chris Silva, with the latter earning six rebounds per game and 1.7 blocks per game. The forwards round out an offensively capable team and provide the much needed defensive presence necessary for a playoff contender.

With a tough schedule remaining including Kentucky, Florida, and Vanderbilt, the Gamecocks still have a few roadblocks in their road to the playoffs. But with the offensive aggression and defensive talent that South Carolina has, it is has become apparent that they are one of the top-25 teams in college basketball, and deserving of an invitation to the NCAA Tournament.