City celebrates historic Gamecock win

The women's basketball team secured the bag in Dallas, but they have an exciting homecoming to look forward to in Columbia.

The welcome-home celebration will be held at Colonial Life Arena Monday at 4 p.m. All undergraduate classes beginning after 3:10 p.m. will be canceled to allow students the chance to support their fellow Gamecocks.

"The decision to cancel classes is always a difficult one to make. However, there are rare occasions when it is important to come together as a family and celebrate. This is one of those times," the university said in a statement Sunday night. "Our women's and men's basketball teams have demonstrated to the world what it means to be champions and what it means to be Gamecocks. Let's welcome them home."

The Gamecock flag was raised over the State House Sunday night. Nikki Haley recognized Coastal Carolina and Clemson for their national championships in baseball last year and football this year by raising their flags as well. However, they waited until the next day to fly those flags.

"Let's raise the flag on the Dome tonight!” Gov. Henry McMaster said on Twitter. 

McMaster tweeted that 10 Gamecock flags would be flown above the Statehouse dome to be presented to the national champions.

USC alumnus Darius Rucker also gave a shoutout to the women's basketball team while on stage at the American Country Music Awards Sunday night, and it's safe to say they'll get another shoutout at the the free concert he is performing for students Wednesday.