Letter from the Editor: Leave your mark

It's the time of year where walking around campus means passing the inevitable group of seniors taking graduation pictures. They travel around the campus landmarks, posing in front of the fountain or with the monument on the Horseshoe — places they've made memories.

And while I still have one year left, I can already imagine how difficult it will be to say goodbye. There’s a familiarity that develops with time spent at USC. It truly becomes home.

With our commencement issue, we honor the class of 2017 who have called the university home for the past four years.

In the past four years at USC, five editors have passed through The Daily Gamecock before me — Kamila Melko, Ben Crawford, Hannah Jeffrey, Thad Moore and Sydney Patterson. All of them have had a lasting impact on this organization, just as everyone who attends USC leaves some mark on this university, whether with a student organization, a lasting friendship or maybe a brick for future generations to trip over.

So as you prepare to say goodbye, forever or just for the summer, think about all the good things that have happened on campus in your time here and all the memories made. Wherever you find your next home, those memories at the University of South Carolina will last forever.

Larissa Johnson

Editor-in-Chief