Trayveon Williams expected to have big game against Gamecocks

The South Carolina football team is still searching for its first win against permanent SEC West rival Texas A&M.The Gamecocks will have their chance on Saturday when they visit Kyle Field to take on the Aggies in the fourth all-time meeting between the two teams. 

The last time these teams faced, the Gamecocks kept it close, but suffered a 24-13 loss in Columbia. Running back A.J. Turner ran 75 yards for a touchdown on the game's first play from scrimmage, and tallied a career-high 113 yards on 10 carries. With key injuries impacting depth and a tough road environment expected, the Gamecocks will look for a similar standout performances from offensive players. 

The Daily Gamecock sports staff caught up with The Battalion sports editor Angel Franco, who has covered the Texas A&M football team all season, to preview the upcoming matchup. Follow her on Twitter at @AngelMadison_ or read her coverage at http://www.thebatt.com/sports/.

Q: Texas A&M is coming off a thrilling overtime win against Arkansas. What were your observations from the game and what did that game tell you about the Aggies? 

A: The one thing I really saw was that there was a lot of growth from this young team that A&M has. The first month of football for the Aggies was full of growing pains. Particularly the receiving corps, which only had two returning players this year, junior Christian Kirk and senior Damion Ratley, so to see the younger guys like true freshman Jhamon Ausbon, who has become one Kellen Mond’s — who is also a true freshman — favorite targets. Which isn’t surprising considering that Mond and Ausbon both went to high school at IMG Academy in Florida and were roommates. The defensive pass rush as strong against Arkansas, they got to Austin Allen six times in the game. This is huge for the Aggies since they are still looking to replace No.1 NFL pick Myles Garrett.

Q: Conversely, South Carolina is coming off a narrow win over Louisiana Tech and will not have Deebo Samuel, Zack Bailey, Bryson Allen-Williams and others on the field this week. How do you think Texas A&Ms defense will fare against Jake Bentley's passing game and how do you think South Carolina's limited defense will fare against Kellen Mond and Co.? 

A: Well, this past weekend against Arkansas, the defense gave up about 15 or so yards more than they did against Louisiana–Lafayette. However, considering the last time they faced a power-five conference opponent, they gave up 491 passing yards which was the season opener against UCLA. So, I think that they should, theoretically, hold up pretty good against Bentley and should be able to contain his passing game. As for South Carolina’s defense containing Mond and the offense, is going to be tough. Mond is developing to the quarterback that can hurt you in the air or on the ground and each he’s getting better. Last Saturday, Mond threw for 216 yards and ran for 109 yards, which led the ground game. However, that being said, he’s still learning as well, which opens the door for mistakes. 

Q: Which Aggies have been standouts this season, and which do you expect to have a breakout performance against the Gamecocks? 

A: There's been a few on either side of the ball. So, I’ll say on the offensive side of the ball it would have to be sophomore running back Trayveon Williams, he hasn’t passed the 100-yard mark rushing the last two games and he’s due for a big game. I think Kirk will build off his huge game last week and have another big game. As for the defense, I think sophomore linebacker Tyrel Dodson should have a strong outing for the Aggies, he’s second on the team for tackles, TFLs, interceptions and has three sacks on the season, one of which came against the Razorbacks. The only person ahead Dodson on all of the categories is senior safety Armani Watts. Watts will continue to anchor that defense this game, he’s relentless when it comes to making sure nothing gets by.  

Q: The last time these two teams faced the Gamecocks lost, 24-13, in Columbia. What is your prediction (with score) for the Texas A&M-South Carolina game and why?

A: I think A&M will win the game 35-28, and keep the streak of [beating] South Carolina alive. I just think it’s going to be really tough for the defense to contain Williams and A&M’s other powerful running back Keith Ford, while also keeping Mond controlled. The A&M pass rush caused havoc for the Arkansas offensive line last week, I expect them to do the same again this week.