Men's soccer falls to Virginia Tech in second half

While the Gamecocks hold the lead in the all-time series against Virginia Tech, they appeared on the wrong side of history on Tuesday night at Stone Stadium. 

Coming into Tuesday's match, the Gamecocks led Virginia Tech, 3-0-0, in the all-time series.The Hokies were able to erase what was once a promising second-half lead to win their first match against South Carolina with a score of 3-2.

With a first half of physical play and missed shots, the fourth match in this one-sided series looked to potentially be another shutout for the Gamecocks. As the match began, both defenses played tough, allowing no goals or penalties. The low-scoring tone changed immediately in the second half.

The Gamecocks started off fast, and took an early 1-0 lead due to a goal scored by South Carolina's shot leader Luca Mayr. Head coach Mark Berson said the ability to score first is very important.

“I think it speaks to the character of our guys, I think it was very important that we came back," Berson said. 

As the second half continued, the Hokies were able to score three goals.

“They were able to get the ball wide and create some opportunities." Berson said. 

The Gamecocks continued to fight to the end. A penalty kick in the 88th minute by Marcelo Acuna allowed Virginia Tech to go up, 3-1, and Chandler Corley responded with his first goal of the season in the 89th minute.

“We just have to keep working,” Berson said. 

The Gamecocks will look to bring that working mentality into Kentucky on Sunday when they take on the nationally-ranked Wildcats.