Columbia scene in need of improvement

Big cities are typically known for providing the best in restaurants, shopping, culture and entertainment. While Columbia certainly doesn’t compare to New York City or Los Angeles, it is the capital of South Carolina and more should be expected from it, especially in terms of culture and entertainment. I grew up with a love for visual and performing arts. My mother studied art in college and she always tried to expose me to theatre, music, dance and art. Both of my parents provided me with every artistic opportunity that they could afford and that was available in my hometown of Spartanburg, S.C. We supported works that were lauded on a national level, though we often had to travel to a bigger city like Charlotte.

This is the same for people in Columbia. While there is great entertainment and culture available as far as local talent is concerned, one must travel to a more metropolitan area like Charlotte or Atlanta to be exposed to national touring acts and exhibits. This shouldn’t be the case. Columbia is conveniently located in the center of the state and is home to several lovely large venues such as the Koger Center, the Carolina Coliseum, the Township Auditorium and the Colonial Life Arena. The South Carolina State Museum and the Columbia Museum of Art are also located in the capital city. I’d love to see these places used for more performances and more exhibits, especially nationally recognized talent.

While I know the bad state of the economy plays a large role in the amount and quality of entertainment that can be provided, I think the majority of people who live near the city or attend USC would appreciate and support a wide variety of entertainment in Columbia. I would like to think I’m not the only person who would prefer to see a world-renowned opera singer rather than the Barnum and Bailey Circus or Miley Cyrus.

Don’t get me wrong. I am very supportive of the entertainment opportunities currently available to me in Columbia. The University of South Carolina School of Music provides professional-level concerts and operas to the Columbia community on a regular basis. The USC Department of Theatre and Dance presents thought-provoking shows multiple times over the course of a semester. Town Theatre, Workshop Theatre and Trustus Theatre are assets to the city because they all showcase local actors in straight plays and musicals each month. Columbia City Ballet brings original works to the capital city several times a year. The State Museum and Columbia Art Museum have multiple floors of exhibits and feature works by South Carolina artists in their permanent collections.

National acts, however, might attract patrons who would otherwise ignore the Columbia arts scene. If people had the opportunity to see a live performance by a musician they saw on TV or a work of art they read about in a national news magazine, it may inspire them to seek out other art in the community. If more people discovered a passion for the arts, perhaps they could get our governor to reconsider her budget cuts.