Workshop Theatre brings back ’60s with musical ‘Hairspray’

USC students, alumni participate in production

Workshop Theatre put on another sold-out production of "Hairspray" Friday, sponsored by AIDS Benefit Foundation of South Carolina. Directed by Cindy Flach, a professor in the USC Department of Theatre and Dance, the production ended the theater's show season on a high note. "There's no better director for this production than our director," said third-year mathematics and statistics student Taylor Wilson, who played IQ, a member of the Teen Council.

Wilson's character was only one of the many played by USC students. He was joined by Abbe DeFoe, Sirena Dib, Katie Foshee, Kathleen Jackson, Bakari Lebby, Kendrick Marion, Kaitlyn Rainwater and Todd Wilson in the ensemble alone.

Those in the ensemble, though they may have played a nonspeaking Teen Council member or one of the dancing Record Shop Teens, all added a dimension of depth that is sometimes lost with nonspeaking roles. Each actor took his or her role seriously and developed his or her own story line, giving each character a personality that, though never given a literal voice, spoke volumes to the audience.

The plot, based on the 1988 John Waters film, follows Tracy Turnblad, played by Jennifer Morse, a weight-challenged high school student with a radical view of life for her hometown of Baltimore.

Possessing a knack for dancing, Tracy auditions for a spot on "The Corny Collins Show," a hit television program, despite the initial resistance of her mother Edna, played by Hunter Boyle. She finds herself bumping heads with the shows producer Velma von Tussle and her daughter Amber, played by Kathy Sykes and Gabrielle Peterson, respectively.

Peterson, a recent theatre and international studies graduate of USC, plays the stereotypical skinny, blonde, mean girl, teasing Tracy about her weight and even dedicating a short musical number to her entitled "Cooties." The conflict between the two females comes to a head over Amber's co-star, Link Larkin, played by first-year exercise science student, Brien Hollingsworth.

While a bit of a vain character, Hollingsworth's talent and preparation is evident.
"I watched a lot of videos of Elvis and Frankie Avalon," Hollingsworth said.

After making her debut performance on "The Corny Collins Show," Tracy finds herself still upset; the segregation of black and white dancers doesn't sit right with her. With her best friend Penny Pingleton following close at her heels, Tracy pushes for a change and finds herself jailed before success is had.

It's Penny, played by second-year theatre and psychology student Danielle Peterson, who steals the show. Playing a lovable character whose spastic and goofy movement will cause any pair of eyes to wander away from the main action to find her, Peterson is certainly a sight to behold.

"For some reason, I clung to an image of a cocker spaniel," admitted Peterson.
The entire cast must have clung to an image of success if Peterson's technique was effective. It was a certain dedication and a considerable amount of talent that gave "Hairspray" an undeniable polish.

The production, originally set to run only through June 4, has picked up an extra four days of showings. The extended dates are June 8 to 11.

Those interested in viewing the production can purchase tickets online at www.workshoptheatre.com or by calling the box office at 803-799-4876.