Cayce-West Columbia Jaycees to honor Capt. Kimberly Hampton, military heroes with memorial concert

Local artists pay tribute to fallen South Carolina pilot

It is a day that will forever live in infamy.

Sept. 11, 2001 began the same as any other day in New York City. The famously gridlocked streets were weighed down with the ever-present hustle and bustle of a thousand New Yorkers pounding the pavement and scrambling to catch their subways. But it only took a split second for everything to change, as two of the biggest powerhouses in international commerce crumbled to the ground in one swift blow. Even a decade later, many of us are still finding it difficult to wrap our heads around what really happened that day, but there's one group in Columbia that's trying to make the pain just a little bit easier to bear.

This Sunday marks the 10-year anniversary of Sept. 11, and the Cayce-West Columbia Junior Chamber of Commerce (better known as the "Jaycees") will host a memorial concert to pay tribute to the fallen and honor those still struggling with the loss of their loved ones.

"A lot of committee events, emails, press and advertising went into planning this event," said Jaycee coordinator Katy Renfroe. "We've already had a lot of community response in signing the banner we had made to thank the local police and fire departments. And we're also going to have a bunch of Christmas cards at the event for people to sign for the American Red Cross's Holiday Mail for Heroes campaign, which sends Christmas cards to active military duty around the world."

If honoring America's heroes isn't enough to get you out to West Columbia on Sunday night, the Jaycees have certainly found a way to sweeten the deal: All the proceeds brought in by the memorial concert will be directly given to the Captain Kimberly Hampton Memorial Foundation. The foundation, which was established to honor Capt. Kimberly Hampton after the American pilot was shot down over Iraq in January of 2004, is designed to support a number of charities and organizations in Hampton's native hometown of Easley, S.C. First and foremost, the foundation recognizes and provides generous scholarship money to Easley High School students who exhibit the same qualities that Hampton herself valued the most. However, the charity also works closely with an array of other associations including the Wounded Warrior Project and the Fisher House Foundation to raise funds for the families of those who have served or are currently serving in America's armed forces.

"We're really hoping to have Dale Hampton, Capt. Kimberly's father, come to the event," Renfroe said. "We'd like to have him there to accept our donation."

The memorial concert has also driven several local bands to come out in full force in support of Sept. 11, with five bands from around the South on tap to keep the show rocking all evening. Featured acts will include cover band Jet Lag Jones, Georgia rockers the Jeremy Graham Band and solo star Chase Asmer. The Funky Junk Band and Daniel Seamans are also slated to take the stage that night.

"We tried to pick local bands that we knew and thought would appreciate the charity aspect of it," Renfroe said. "We also wanted groups that we thought would draw a decent crowd so we could give the most back to the foundation."

As for the future of our country in the aftermath of Sept. 11? Renfroe says she hopes to see some big changes in store for our country.

"9/11 changed the way our world views each other in my opinion. It brought some countries together for a common goal," Renfroe said. "In the future, I hope people start to love each other and not have so much hate in their hearts. I can't stand people doing things that are obscene and radical for religion because I don't think that's the way religion operates in all reality."

The 9/11 Memorial Concert is being held Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Ozzie's Country Island in West Columbia. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 the day off. Visit www.cwcjaycees.org for more information.