Four Twitter handles worth following

Betty F*ckin' White, Social Columbia, Michael Ian Black, Scene SC top list of best on social media site

Let’s talk Twitter.

Ever since creator Jack Dorsey sent out the first tweet in 2006, Twitter has blossomed into a social networking giant, connecting more than 175 million registered users around the world with 200 million tweets per day. Twitter is also home to an impressive array of celebrity users including Kim Kardashian, Lil Wayne, Ellen Degeneres and Tommy Lee.

Almost every rock star or celebrity has his or her name on a Twitter account, tweeting about everything from their latest projects to pictures of what they ate for dinner that night. However, some big-name tweeters are more fun to follow than others (remember when Ashton Kutcher snapped a pic of wife Demi Moore’s scantily clad backside?), and some of the most brilliant tweets come from the most unexpected people.

Betty F*ckin White

@BettyFckinWhite

OK, so it’s not really Betty White; in fact, it even says so on the user profile. But that doesn’t mean it’s not hilarious, especially if you can imagine the feisty former Golden Girl saying these things herself. Tweeting about everything from celeb slip-ups (“Ronnie and Sammi really are a perfect couple. A perfect couple of idiots.”) to world news (“Steve Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple with a letter to the board. A letter? What? There’s no app for that?”), Betty F*ckin’ White puts a terrific twist on more “mature” humor.

SocialColumbia.com

@SocialColumbia

If you ever wanted to keep up with all the great deals, events and specials going on in the Columbia area every day of the week, Social Columbia is the account to follow. Not only does the site keep followers up to date on sports scores and weather, it also tweets out announcements and special deals from local restaurants and merchants. The website sends out plenty of promotional retweets from a variety of regional businesses and organizations including Tombo Grille, South Carolina State Parks and Cellar on Greene, serving up half-off deals and specials that anyone can enjoy.

Michael Ian Black

@michaelianblack

Before the standup comedian hits the Russell House Ballroom on Sept. 27, it’s probably not a bad idea to become familiar with his somewhat unique brand of humor. With more than 1.6 million followers, Black quips daily about his humorous observations on life (“No power or water at my house. May be out for five days. But on the other hand, I’m rich, so whatever.”) and his personal views on the state of the famous (“Can everybody please stop making fun of Chris Brown? It’s not like he beat up Beyonce.”) No matter the occasion, Black always has something to say, and his unfiltered and uncensored outlook on life’s daily rituals are some of the best on the web.

Scene SC

@sceneSC

The Columbia artist scene is quickly starting to return to its former glory days, with a mass collection of local musicians and artists stamping their name all over the state. And Scene SC is the best place to keep track of what’s happening. Touted as the “home” of South Carolina’s finest, Scene SC tweets daily about local music happenings, new artists and concerts that shouldn’t be missed. Scene SC also keeps followers in touch with other musicians, retweeting concert schedules, ticket sales and new artist interests from all around Columbia. If you’re into music and uncovering a slew of new artists and venues, Scene SC should definitely at the top of your following list.