Defensive point of emphasis: Now it's the opponent with the quarterback questions

MSU's starter under center a mystery

Quarterback controversy is nothing new to South Carolina. Only this week, USC's opponent is the one undecided on its signal caller.

In Mississippi State's 21-3 win over UAB last week, starter Chris Relf completed six passes for just 46 yards before being pulled in favor of backup Tyler Russell, who went 11-for-13 with three touchdown passes to lead his team to victory.
MSU coach Dan Mullen has chosen not to divulge who the starter will be this week, even throwing in third-string quarterback Dylan Favre, nephew of NFL legend Brett Favre, as a possibility to see playing time.

Despite uncertainty about which quarterback it will have to contain, the Gamecock defense will look to duplicate its stellar performance against Kentucky when it takes on the Bulldogs.

"They're just like Auburn," linebacker Quin Smith said. "They run hard, they're a great team and we're just going to have to prepare the right way this week. We don't know who's going to play, which quarterback, but we're preparing for both."

USC held the Wildcats to just 17 passing yards last week, recording three sacks and four interceptions. The defense has forced 17 turnovers in the past three games.

Antonio Allen, who is currently tied for the team lead in interceptions with three and leads all Gamecocks with 50 tackles, said the defense will be ready for any type of offense that the Bulldogs try to run.

"It always starts with preparing at practice and just trying to run into the ball. I know they're going to try to run the ball and pass the ball," Allen said. "They'll try to do whatever to get the edge, and we just have to be prepared."

Defensive lineman Melvin Ingram said the Gamecocks' aggression is the main factor in their ability to force turnovers.

"We just try to work hard. We have a model of being relentless getting around the ball," Ingram said. "Just every play, trying to get to the quarterback no matter what — if it's a run play or a pass play, we're just trying to be around the ball on every play."

The Bulldogs' two main quarterbacks have distinctive styles of play, with Relf more prone to running the ball. The defensive line, which limited Kentucky to 79 rushing yards, will look to nip Mississippi State's offense in the bud.

"Our main thing is stopping them from scoring," defensive tackle Travian Robertson said. "The offense is going to run the ball. They'll get plays here and there. Our thing is to try to bounce back from them. Obviously we try to stop all their plays, but if they get it, we just move on to the next play."

Mississippi State's biggest threat at running back, Vick Ballard, has averaged 89 yards per game this season, but Smith said the Gamecocks are not intimidated by the prospect of stopping him.

"It's the SEC. Everyone's got tough players," Smith said of Ballard. "Obviously he's a good running back — he's here. We'll prepare for him just like any other running back."

An important factor in USC's preparation is the number of players who have seen extensive reps in the past few weeks. Victor Hampton, Kelcy Quarles and Aldrick Fordham are among players who have seen an increase in their playing time, helping keep the unit as a whole rested and ready to compete.

"Coach put them in, and he trusts them playing on the field," Robertson said. "They practice well, and having a real rotation is healthy for the team. We get reps in practice, and we get them in the game. It keeps everybody fresh."

The closest thing to a quarterback controversy that the Gamecocks had to face last year came against Tennessee, when Matt Simms was pulled for then–true freshman Tyler Bray midway through USC's 38-24 win. Bray threw an interception in his first drive, finishing the day nine-of-15 passing with two touchdowns. He was sacked three times.

The USC defense will look for similar success against Mississippi State this week. Despite the uncertainty in the Bulldogs' offense, the Gamecocks are prepared to contain their scoring to put themselves in position for a win.

"It's going to be a tough week to prepare because they have two quarterbacks, and they both do a lot of different stuff," Robertson said. "We just have to go out this week, prepare well and stay focused."