Notebook: Steve Spurrier says any change at quarterback will be announced early this week

Coach says something will be decided either Monday or Tuesday

After Garcia had another poor outing, throwing two interceptions on nine-for-23 passing with just 160 passing yards against an Auburn defense that entered the game the worst in the Southeastern Conference. Spurrier said after the game he didn't know if a change would be made in regards to Garcia.

On his Sunday teleconference a day after the 16-13 loss to Auburn, Spurrier didn't announce a change. But he did say a decision would be announced either Monday after practice or at Tuesday's weekly press conference.

"That's about all I can say," Spurrier said. "We've coached Stephen, but Stephen seems to play very similarly about every game."

It was Garcia's third consecutive outing with multiple interceptions thrown. And while miscommunication with receivers was given for Garcia's four interceptions against Vanderbilt, no such excuses were presented after this game.

"I feel like we were open out there," said Alshon Jeffery. "I guess [Garcia] didn't have enough time, or he just overthrew us on a couple plays."

Garcia did not speak to the media following the loss and did not address his struggles in a statement released by the school. Receiver Bruce Ellington said there's not much to tell Garcia.

"Just tell him it's a new game," Ellington said. "We have to move on to the next game. We need to put this game behind us and move on."

The question for the Gamecocks now is if Garcia will be moving on or if backup Connor Shaw or even third-string quarterback Dylan Thompson will be going forward in his place.

Spurrier said Sunday both have played "pretty well" for younger players in the scrimmages held at practice on Monday nights. He added that USC "has to shake up the offense somehow" but again said no specifics will be revealed until later in the week.

"We were winning until last night (with Garcia playing), and we were actually living through a lot of errors Stephen would make during games," Spurrier said. "But we were still somehow winning the game. We kept hoping and believing that maybe those errors would go away, but they don't seem to go away. And so we've got to figure out what we're going to do."

Nunn, Miles out: Offensive tackle Kyle Nunn did not play Saturday, sitting out with a back injury. Tailback Kenny Miles also did not play with a wrist injury.

True freshman Mike Matulis started in Nunn's place before being replaced by redshirt freshman Cody Gibson. Spurrier said Sunday that Nunn's status for the Kentucky game is up in the air.

"We'll wait until later in the week to see whether he can play or not," Spurrier said. "I'm not sure what the prognosis on that is."

Spurrier said if Nunn can't go, Matulis and Gibson might both play in his place again. But it isn't a definite that Nunn won't return.

Byrd plays: Freshman wide receiver Damiere Byrd was cleared by the NCAA and started after sitting out the past four games due to ineligibility. Byrd finished with one rush for 2 yards and no receptions.

Uniform snafu: USC's special Wounded Warrior jerseys from Under Armour did not make it into the game. After SEC officials expressed concern about the visibility of the numbers on the front and back of the jerseys — the numbers consisted mostly of a dark gray camouflage pattern — the Gamecocks were told to change into their black alternate home jerseys. The team still wore helmets, gloves, pants, socks and cleats associated with the promotion to honor the armed forces and raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project.

The streak continues: Auburn improved its all-time record against USC to 9-1-1. The Gamecocks have not defeated Auburn since 1933. The Tigers have now defeated the Gamecocks three times since the start of the 2010 season in three different cities.