Country artist Josh Turner to play Coliseum Thursday

SC singer brings signature vocals to campus in free Carolina Productions concert

South Carolina’s country crooner Josh Turner is best known for two things: “Long Black Train” and his deep, Southern drawl.

The singer and Hannah, S.C. native will play the Carolina Coliseum Thursday at 8 p.m. in Carolina Production’s last concert of the semester.

Turner, who is on tour in preparation for his fifth studio album, touts his hometown ties in his music. And although he’s never played at USC, the artist is ready to bring his “South Carolina Low Country” style to campus.

“That’s pretty much what it is — country music with that South Carolina flair, South Carolina experience and South Carolina upbringing,” Turner said.

And it’s Turner’s signature vocals, which have defined the country star’s career, that add that extra Southern touch to the singer’s defining hits.

“People always just gravitate toward my voice — it’s obviously one of my strong suits,” Turner said. “Everyone always asks me, ‘What instrument do you play?’ And I say ‘My voice.’ My voice and I have been through a lot together, and it’s really the most distinguishable and most identifiable part of my sound.”

After attending Francis Marion University in Florence, Turner moved to Nashville in 1998 to finish his degree at Belmont University and pursue a record deal. He met a girl in one of his classes who listened to his demo and led him to a publishing deal and his first — and perhaps most popular — single “Long Black Train.”

“When ‘Long Black Train’ came out, I think it really just set me apart from everybody else. It’s really just been a foundation for my career,” Turner said. “I’ve had a lot of hits since then, and a lot of hits that were better commercially, but that one really just became my signature song and really defined what kind of artist I am.”

And Turner shares the key to his South Carolina success story — from Francis Marion to Belmont — with up-and-coming musicians.

“If you’re a country artist, my biggest piece of advice is to move to Nashville. That’s where the music is,” Turner said. “I honestly expected some record exec to come find me in South Carolina. You have to go where the music is and where things are happening — and never give up.”

The “Long Black Train” singer has found his way to the top of the charts with help from other bigs in the business, shaping his sound and style in light of the genre greats.

“I have what I call my ‘Mount Rushmore of Country Music’ and it’s Randy Travis, John Anderson, Johnny Cash, Vern Gosdin and Hank Williams. Those five guys, you can pretty much hear their influence in my music, in whatever song I do,” Turner said.

In his latest album, 2010’s “Haywire” — which was released with MCA Nashville — Turner had a bigger hand in the lyrics and meaning behind the record, writing or co-writing five of the 11 tracks, including the title track, “As Fast As I Could” and “Eye Candy.”

“I know where the songs come from on a very deep level. I’m trying to show my heart to my fans and let them see that side of me,” Turner said. “That’s the cool part about being able to write your own stuff — it makes it more personal, it’s more relatable.”

Turner also just finished up recording and tracking for his fifth album, and is now working to “put it all together.” The new album is due out in 2012.

And for Turner, who’s been on tour all year, the Carolina show will be a chance for him to come home to South Carolina, and to play to one of his favorite crowds.

“I’ve played a lot of show where it’s predominantly college students and it’s always fun because they’re loving the music. And they understand the music; they appreciate the music,” Turner said. “In some ways it’s kind of like playing for my peers — they know the music, they appreciate it and they’re excited about it.”

Country fans and newcomers to the genre alike are promised a good time at Thursday’s show, Turner said.

“College students make up a huge demographic. They come from all different places, all different walks of life. It’s a melting point. There are going to be a lot of country fans mixed into that college crowd, but even the ones who aren’t, they’re going to get to hear something different and have a good time and hang with their friends,” Turner said. “I’ll give them a good time.”

The show is Thursday at the Coliseum and tickets are still available to students, faculty and staff with a valid CarolinaCard at the Russell House Information Desk. Doors are at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m.