In Our Opinion: ‘Occupy’ right to take stand at Statehouse

“Occupy Columbia” won’t give up its stance on the Statehouse grounds after challenging Gov. Nikki Haley’s previous removal of the protesters.

Wether or not you agree with what the “Occupy” protesters stand, literally and figuratively, for, we applaud their relentless desire to express their opinions. Despite the possibility that an misguided law could legally keep them on campus, protesters returned and have been allowed to remain.

At the end of the day, freedom of expression shouldn’t be squandered as long as those expressing their feelings don’t inhibit others from going on with their day-to-day activities. It was clear, in this case, that the “Occupy” protesters did not inhibit progress of others, and thus we feel their means of protesting should be allowed.

“Occupy” protesters have been largely controversial nationwide, with some turning violent. But that was far from the case with those in front of the Statehouse.

We also applaud the state officials for not further cracking down. It would have been easy to simply lay the hammer down and stick to previous notions of illegality. We’re glad the cooler heads have prevailed. The protesters weren’t doing much of any harm.

Sure, they may be of some annoyance to some, but that’s no reason to encroach on free speech. Those who disagree can choose to tune the endless chants out. Those who agree can look on, or join, the protesters and applaud them.