Rolling Stone Bar creates vibe in Rosewood

Owner sets new spot’s scene with location

Speeding down Rosewood Drive, it’s not hard to overlook the small building occupying space at No. 1332. With its peeling paint and chipping corners, it’s hard to imagine it as the home of Columbia’s newest bar, let alone a grinding rock and roll joint.

But that’s just what the Rolling Stone Bar is, and to hear owner Jimmy Phillips describe it, it won’t be long before all of Columbia is spending the night jamming with close friends and familiar strangers there.

Hoping to set the bar apart from the various strings of others in the Five Points and Vista areas, Phillips chose to settle into the Rosewood location for its strikingly unique vibe that gives Columbia residents and USC students an alternative experience to the norm. Seeing such huge successes with annual events like the Rosewood Crawfish Festival as well as several new businesses opening doors in the community, Phillips says Rosewood will soon be a hub for a thriving arts, music, restaurant and bar scene.

“I’ve always had my eye on this location,” said Phillips, who has had his hand in the business for some years now. “It is a stand-alone location, like a concrete island nestled beneath some great old trees, with a tin roof and some good green space. There is a feeling of serenity and independence here.”

So why “Rolling Stone”? After all, it is a little risky to take hands with a title associated with one of the world’s most legendary rock bands, as well as a publication that has had its finger on the pulse of the music industry for almost 45 years now. However, it is this tie to rock and roll pop culture that immediately drew Phillips to first the name and then the initial concept for the bar. Stating that his ultimate goal was to choose a brand that would reach people on a deeper level and across several generations, Phillips also drew upon his former years at the University of South Carolina to cultivate an idea that was just beginning to take root in his mind.

“When I was a junior at USC, I read ‘The Myth of Sisyphus’ by Albert Camus, and the story screamed truth to me about the human condition, and I’ve always drawn meaning from the idea and image of an individual and the rolling stone,” Phillips said. “So, the origins for me personally have roots that transcend popular understanding of the brand. The important thing is that it reaches people in a meaningful way, whatever it means to them. Ultimately, it’s rock and roll.”

Currently, the Rolling Stone is on the search for a variety of live entertainment, and Phillips says the bar encourages musicians of all trades and maintains a constant “open door” policy that will prevent the overlooking of any new diamonds in the rough.

Although Phillips claims the bar still has a long way to go in terms of style, the vibe of the bar is also perfectly suited for the authenticity of classic rock, combining an ample amount of coziness, warmth, darkness and casual fun all in one place. Phillips rolls with this vibe by maintaining a subtle sexiness within the bar, opting out of the typical store-bought furnishings for a stage outfitted with simply a Persian rug. A new piano will be moving in next week.

“The place has a tavern feel inside, but outside it’s just like sitting on your back porch. Aside from this, the people will ultimately shape the vibe of the business, and our hope is that the Rolling Stone will attract people who appreciate music, art, poetry, philosophy and camaraderie of a genuine bar,” Phillips said. “We want people to come because they love the people who hang out there as well as the way we do business.”

As for the future of the bar, Phillips foresees constant genuine growth for the business, as well as the brand. Shying away from the typical flashy ads, the Rolling Stone will continue to flourish through a network of satisfied patrons, he said, although drink specials will be on the menu daily. And come spring, the bar will hold its grand opening, complete with a lunch and dinner menu comprised of healthy options like sandwiches and salads. The bar will also be rolling out its “First Annual Rolling Stone Box Car Derby” race this spring, with hopes it will become one of Columbia’s most recognized and enjoyed events. The Rolling Stone will also continue to expand over the holiday season, developing the outdoor space to host festivals and events.

“The long-term goal for the business is to become an iconic brand synonymous with a superior experience, and that we can one day expand to other cities and see the Rolling Stone rolling to a town near everyone,” Phillips said. “However, for now, we hope to simply show people a good time, create a great atmosphere and great memories.”