‘john & jen’ plays to comedy, conflict

Workshop Theatre production portrays family dynamic

Families — they come in all different shapes and sizes. And it’s impossible to really understand the workings of a family by simply taking into account what is seen by the public eye.

Workshop Theatre’s “john & jen” takes us inside one family, through the love-hate relationship between a brother and sister and later of a mother and son.

The play follows Jen as she journeys through life, bent on finding freedom and protecting her brother, John, who longs to be accepted by their father. When life and the Vietnam War tear the siblings apart, the show segways to Jen’s relationship with her son, also named John, and we see the parallel between his desire to leave home and his mother’s same wish.

Throughout the show, the audience sees how families can be both a support system and the source of our most damaging memories.

With a cast of only two people and a set that reflects the sometimes rocky relationship of the characters, Workshop’s production is exceptionally strong.

Kevin Bush, marketing director for the Department of Theatre and Dance at USC, and Columbia College alumnus Linda Posey effectively portray John and Jen from six to 40 years old. They also show great stamina in their consistently strong vocals throughout the musical.

As can be expected with any live show, there were a few small technical hiccups — a microphone brushed against fabric or the musicians were visible through the set. These minute difficulties were noticeable but they did not detract from the show.

The technical crew’s lighting design was perfect and particularly captivating when viewers see John and Jen in their hideout as children. Their silhouettes were illuminated, stirring memories of staying up late with your best friends and hoping your parents don’t wake up. The technical aspects added a lot to the show, complementing the performances of the actors and the mood of the piece itself.

“john & jen” is a particularly moving piece, with scenes of both lighthearted heckling and intense sorrow between the brother and sister. The show reminds us that we should cling to those who love and support us, and run from those who would cause us harm. It encourages theatergoers to remember those were loved and lost, but continue to live and grow once they are gone.

The show was entertaining with comic appeal, conflict and an ever-changing, attention-grabbing plot. It stirred a wide range of emotions from the audience, evoking both laughter and tears.

Workshop Theatre has served Columbia for nearly half a century, and remains a staple venue of the theater community.  With a pleasant staff and a comfortable, lived-in feel, the theater offers a form of entertainment that is far from the norm for most college students — only adding to the “john & jen” experience.

“john & jen” runs Thursday through Saturday until Jan. 28, with a special matinee on Jan. 22. Tickets are $16 for students and available through workshoptheatre.com.