Everest Cale takes New York City stage

USC alumni record in same studio as big-name stars

Marking the leap from New Brookland Tavern and Art Bar to Arlene’s Grocery and Bryant Park is more than just the difference of a few thousand people and a citywide cool.

Music is the culture, and every stage, first EP and opening gig is rooted in competition. It’s New York City, where dreams are big, and singer-songwriters are a dime a dozen.

But, Everest Cale has taken the big stage, and with its first EP due out Feb. 21, is on the brink of breaking into the scene of the city that never sleeps.

“I love the Columbia music scene. There’s less competition and a community of people who look out for each other,” said vocalist Brett Treacy. “But in New York, it’s not community, it’s competition — and it’s great. It makes you strive to be and do better.”

Treacy, as well as guitarist Jeremy Komin and bassist Aaron Nystrup, graduated from USC in 2007 and have since traveled their “country-infused blues” from Columbia to Brooklyn.

The beauty of Everest Cale is born in the guys’ ability to marry the best of both vocally driven, somber and soulful talent and the appeal of rock ‘n’ roll. Although Treacy cites his music influences as the acoustically great Bright Eyes and legendary Bob Dylan, the band moves toward a more infused sound.

“As a band, we’re classic rock driven,” Treacy said. “We’re bridging the gap between singer-songwriter and rock band.”

Before Everest Cale’s move to New York, Treacy, Komin and Nystrup played in Columbia’s “full-on whiskey-soaked” rock ‘n’ roll” band, The Bourbon Brothers.

“I left because it was too hard rock, and I wanted to be a little more delicate,” Treacy said. “So I moved to New York, and [the other band members] started coming up one by one.”

The band — whose first three members met in the Russell House — moved Everest Cale to Brooklyn in 2008 and has been playing as its current five-man set for a little more than a year.

And Everest Cale is now gearing up for its first recorded showing — Feb. 21’s five-song EP “Beast.”

“It’s do-it-yourself. With the music industry right now, you have to prove yourself first and record something on your own,” Treacy said. “You don’t want to be taken as a slacker who thinks they’re the next Kurt Cobain.”

But its lack of label didn’t hold the group back from the best recording facility. Through a Brooklyn connection, the guys ended up recording in The Cutting Room, the same studio as Lana Del Rey and Mos Def — at the same time as the two chart-toppers.

You’d think laying down tracks in a platinum and gold album–studded studio would cost a pretty penny, but one simple fix yielded the budget for the band’s first disc.

“We started saving a year ago,” Treacy said. “We have a rehearsal space in Brooklyn, and we’d go drink there instead of the bars.”

The five “Beast” songs dance between the Bright Eyes feeling — like in the second track “Goodbye” — and a more electric guitar–defined chorus, with Treacy’s calming vocals carrying the album through on one solid note.

Treacy said the one obstacle in meshing the acoustic and rock influences was in showcasing each musician’s style and talent in the Everest Cale setting.

“When you have musicians that are all able to do such great things, it’s hard to get egos in check,” Treacy said. “They came in with these guitar solos and the talent to do such great things — I had to convince them it was worth it to be up there on stage with not as much individual play time.”

And as a band, the guys have come together to play into the songwriting process, each adding his own creative energy to shells of songs Treacy has written and living them out on stage.

“The songs let you into my personal life, and the band helps you feel the lyrics,” Treacy said. “Our performances are very emotional — you can see the guys making all the music’s movements on stage.”

The new album’s first and title track “Beast” tells a tale of love and “being scared of love and relationships of the past and being afraid of getting back into one,” Treacy said.

It sets the tone for the tracks to come and the band’s branded sound — a striking balance between Bon Iver and more up-tempo acts like Ben Kweller.

Everest Cale will have its CD release party on Feb. 24 at Tammany Hall in Manhattan and have booked the final slot in Bryant Park’s Summer Concert Series this August.

“Beast” is officially available Feb. 21 for $5, but can be streamed online at music.everestcale.com.