USC student brings together rap, religion

Timothy Phipps performs meshes Christianity with Top 40 musical influences

Worship comes in many forms — it can take shape as a traditional Sunday morning in a sanctuary of pews or a personal time of thoughtful, spiritual reflection. But for Timothy Phipps, music is his way of expressing his faith.

Phipps, a second-year criminal justice student, is making a name for himself in the local music scene by bringing positive lyrics and a Christian perspective to hip-hop and rap beats.

The student musician, who has made it his goal to corner an underrepresented genre in the city, said he has been writing music for “about a year and a half.” The first song he wrote was a gift for his girlfriend, but as he shared it with his friends and family, their reactions and encouragement motivated Phipps to write more.

“I really started seeing my talent,” Phipps said.

Although his taste in music has changed throughout his life — and he enjoys listening to a variety of musical genres — he never stopped listening to rap.

“I’ve gone from liking country to liking heavy metal, but one thing that always remained consistent was rap,” Phipps said. “Rap was always in my life in some way and it is a love of mine.”

Rap was the motivation, the passion and foot-in in the industry, but the other half of Phipp’s act is built on a larger principle. The Christian rapper said that when it comes to his music, it’s for God, not the money.

“I figured out that God gave me the talent to rap. I am using my music for him and not for anything else,” Phipps said. “I write about God and how he’s helped me in my life. I use music to glorify him.”

Phipps is just getting his start in the world of live performances, but he has played about five gigs at local churches and youth rallies around South Carolina, including performances in the Charleston area and his hometown of Florence. He plans to perform at more youth rallies in the near future.

The songster has two gigs on campus this Wednesday with an outdoor show on Greene Street at 1:30 p.m. and a 6 p.m. opening for a comedy show in the Russell House Theatre. The campus performances will be Phipps’ Columbia debut, and he is excited to share his music with the Carolina community.

These shows will introduce the student songster as a rap artist not only to Columbia, but also to his group of friends. Phipps said most of his friends have not heard him rap before, and although he has recorded between five and 10 tracks, he hasn’t put out a CD yet.

A few of Phipps’s songs are remixes of secular, top-40 songs with new, original lyrics interwoven into the favorites. A remix of “Fly” by Nicki Minaj and Rihanna featuring new lyrics by Phipps is posted on the artist’s YouTube channel, youtube.com/TJPofficial.

Phipps plans to release a mixtape or CD once he gains a larger fan base. But even though Phipps is serious about his music, he plans to continue with college while recording and performing.

“I’m not the kind of person who is going to quit school to do music,” Phipps said. “I want to get my degree.”

To learn more about Phipps’ music, visit his Facebook fan page (listed as TJP) and follow him on Twitter @TJPmusic.