Softball travels to California for invitational

Gamecocks prepare for Highlander Classic

South Carolina softball heads for the Golden Coast this weekend as it takes part in the Highlander Classic.

South Carolina is looking to win its third tournament this year and the first on the road.

This year’s Highlander Invitational will include the likes of Maine, Portland State, UC Davis and UC Riverside. Only Portland State has a record that hits the .500 mark at 7-7. Head coach Beverly Smith said she’s taking the competition seriously.

“I think the competition we’ll be facing is very good,” Smith said. “We’re playing three quality teams from California and the girls in California grow up playing year-round so they’re all seasoned ball players.”

South Carolina will be the only team in attendance that has a record over .500 at 12-4. The Gamecocks come into this tournament hot, winning seven of their last eight, and will hope to take three out of four tournaments that they’ve played in this year.

“I want to make sure we put our best foot forward while we are out in California,” Smith said. “We heavily recruit this area and we want to positively reflect what this program represents.”

Offensively the Gamecocks have been strong this year, as South Carolina has scored at least seven runs in nine of its 16 games and has six of its eight starters hitting over .300.

Leadoff shortstop Samie Garcia is hitting .446 and currently leads the team with 20 runs scored and seven stolen bases. Centerfielder Lauren Lackey leads the team in hitting with .465 and in triples with two. Chelsea Hawkins has also filled in nicely in her first year as a full time starter, hitting .442 with four home runs and 16 RBIs.

“We have a very competitive team and I expect us to go out and win all of these games,” Smith said. “We have the capabilities to hit the ball and score runs. Everyone on this team expects to win.”

However, if there is one player who has been the real power behind the Gamecock offense it’s been senior third baseman Evan Childs. Childs is hitting .391 with a team leading 6 home runs, 18 RBIs, 39 total bases, .848 slugging and a .491 on-base percentage. She and the rest of the Gamecocks will look to keep their offense rolling during the third road trip of the season.

Pitching has been strong for South Carolina this season as well. All three starters have winning records and have a team ERA of 2.61. Freshman Katelynn Howser is undefeated and leads the team in strikeouts this season with 30. Starter Audrey Broyles, who has a team low 2.02 ERA, will return to the starting rotation from injury this weekend.

“Audrey Broyles will be back with us in California to give us a three pitcher rotation again,” Smith said. “We’ll be excited to have her back in the rotation again.”