State education must have school choice to succeed

Competition could improve performance

The right to choose your own personalized formal education should be mandated by the individual, not by the state. The new state educational school choice bill that has just passed South Carolina’s Senate Education committee could be a sign for a solution to South Carolina’s ailing public school system.

JordanCooperThe bill allows students to choose any school, except those that are completely funded privately. Charter schools will be an important aspect of this bill.

Making this step toward open enrollment could inadvertently encourage teachers to care more about the instruction due to broadening the competition. As a result, teacher performance may be increased by this measure.

Lacking the liberty to choose how you should be formally educated is a hindrance to our own civil liberties. This bill gives parents the opportunity to make less costly options of educating their children formally while still allowing school choice. We may finally be able give children who are stuck in the “corridor of shame” an opportunity to have a quality education.

Education is the equalizer of all individuals, and it should be chosen by the person, not the government. Educational attainment is the basis for creating long-term economic development and a properly engaged society. Restricting options only limits us as a state and nation. We need to empower ourselves by choosing how to live and how to learn.