Bar brings fresh food to Five Points

Mozzarella sticks, tacos among lunch, dinner offerings at Breakers

Breakers Bar and Grill, which opened this spring in Dr. Rocco's old location, has already undergone huge renovations. As the interior and exterior of the bar continue to improve cosmetically, the hot spot's menu is receiving a facelift as well.

"It's not Dr. Rocco's anymore. It's new and clean and the food is amazing," said Karlyn Laux, a second-year nursing student and Breakers waitress. USC alumnus and Breakers owner Bradley Morgan, who graduated with a degree in marketing and management in December of 2011, bought the bar in March.

After renovating and cleaning the inside bar and outdoor patio in his plan's first phase, Morgan began working on phase two: bringing a delicious lunch and dinner option to customers.

Breakers started serving dinner three weeks ago and began serving lunch on July 5.

"It used to be Rocco's. It used to be disgusting," Morgan said. "People hear 'food' and they don't know the quality of it."

The kitchen staff at Breakers has been training throughout the summer to make food from scratch. Morgan suggests trying the mozzarella sticks, which are handmade to order. Laux recommends the pimento burger, which she enjoys when her shift is over.

The food is freshly prepared for each order and the salad dressings are made in-house.

The College World Series brought the best crowds yet, Morgan said, as the new televisions mounted on the walls throughout the bar brought customers in to watch the baseball games.

Though the number of customers isn't yet ideal, Morgan expects business will pick up once school starts.

"Most of the money we've been making we've been reinvesting into the bar," he said. "You've got to spend money to make money."

Morgan and his staff are working on a list of specials, which will include half-price burgers, chicken wing deals, all-you-can-eat shrimp and deals on their famous slushies. He also hopes to incorporate trivia and live music.

Aside from the food, Morgan will continue to renovate the patio. A new wrought iron fence will be put up around the patio and new paint will cover the outdoor area.

Morgan also plans to restructure the inside of the bar, adding another bar and a climate-controlled glass area.

"We hope people think we're the best bar in Columbia," Morgan said. "And we want to make the best bar better.".