Gamecock hurdlers capture two silvers

Richardson, Damus medal in London Games

Jason Richardson and Lashinda Demus each won silver medals at Olympic Stadium, as Richardson placed second in the men's 110-meter hurdles final and Demus won silver in the women's 400-meter hurdles final. It was the first Olympic medal for both Richardson and Demus.

Richardson ran a 13.16, finishing .12 seconds behind compatriot Aries Merritt, while Demus finished just .07 seconds behind Natalya Antyuhk of Russia. Demus' time of 52.77 seconds was her best mark of the season.
Richardson competed at USC from 2005 to 2009, where he was a one-time NCAA champion, while Demus ran for the Gamecocks from 2002 to 2004 and was a member of the 2002 women's national championship team, along with being a five-time NCAA champion. Both Richardson and Demus won gold at the 2011 World Championships in South Korea.

The 26-year-old Richardson was making his first appearance at the Olympics. A native of Cedar Hill, Texas, Richardson won his first world title last year in South Korea, running a 13.16 in the in the 110-meter hurdles. At this year's Olympic trials, Richardson ran a 12.98, finishing second.

Demus holds the American record in the 400-meter hurdles. Her time of 52.47 is the third-fastest ever. London was Demus' second Olympic Games. She competed in Athens in 2004 but missed making the 2008 team after giving birth to twin boys in 2007.

Along with Richardson and Demus, three other former Gamecocks competed in London. Natasha Hastings went as a member of the USA track and field relay pool, Iva Sliskovic played for the Croatian women's basketball team and Ilona Burgrova competed for the Czech Republic on the women's basketball team.