Organic food stores benefit local consumers

New supermarkets bring healthier lifestyles

As Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s settle to enter the grocery market in Columbia, surrounding supermarkets are worrying about the loss of customers.

However, the introduction of an increased number of natural foods supermarkets to Columbia will vastly improve the selection of foods students and area residents have to choose from. Though grocers like Kroger and Bi-Lo will be competing with Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s for customers, the competition will stimulate consumers to make more health-conscious decisions when choosing what products to buy. 

Since Whole Foods announced its plans last year, both Earth Fare on Devine Street and Fresh Market in Trenholm Plaza have made renovations, as they are expected to be the main competitors of the new grocers. The new competition will also stimulate special deals and discounts to retain customer returns. Take Earth Fare and Publix, both of which have been offering Garners Ferry and Forest Acres residents a number of coupons. And Publix is conducting phone surveys about shopping habits among customers in the local market, according to The State.

Because natural foods are being made more readily available to Columbia residents, the normally exorbitant prices will be lowered, making it easier for students and lower-income residents to afford organic and natural foods. The new grocery competition will not only allow residents to assess our food choices, but will also help making healthy decisions more convenient.