Around the SEC: FSU to host UF after clinching division

LSU will face Arkansas after narrowly avoiding an upset by Ole Miss.

Alabama will win SEC West with victory over Auburn in Iron Bowl

No. 6 Florida @ No. 10 Florida State, Saturday, 3:30 p.m., ABC

Florida State punched its ticket to the ACC title game Saturday by taking care of business against Maryland. Senior quarterback E.J. Manuel completed 74 percent of his passes and had two touchdowns as FSU cruised to a 41-14 victory. Sophomore running back Devonta Freeman had a big game against the Terps, rushing for 148 yards and averaging 9.3 yards per carry. The Noles will play against the ACC’s Coastal Division winner in Charlotte, N.C., Dec. 1 in the ACC Championship game. Last week, Florida beat Jacksonville State 23-0 to move to 10-1 on the season heading into rivalry weekend. Florida felt the absence of sophomore quarterback Jeff Driskell as backup Jacoby Brissett and the offense reached the end zone just one time against the Gamecocks. The Gators’ defense once again came up big, holding Jacksonville State to fewer than 250 yards of offense. Jon Bostic’s pick-six in the third quarter helped seal the win. The Gators lead the all-time series against Florida State 33-21-2.

Auburn @ No. 2 Alabama, Saturday, 2:30 p.m., CBS

Thought of by some to be the most heated, impassioned and vicious rivalry in American sports, Auburn and Alabama will face off in the 77th edition of the Iron Bowl. Auburn had its best offensive performance of the season with a win over Alabama A&M last week. Running backs Tre Mason and Onterio McCalebb led the way with more than 100 yards rushing each. Freshman quarterback Jonathan Wallace threw for 171 yards and a touchdown in the 51-7 win. The Crimson Tide rolled past Western Carolina 49-0 to enter the Auburn game at 10-1 for the second straight year. Alabama’s rushing attack put up 300 yards against the Catamounts and was so effective that quarterback A.J. McCarron only attempted six passes. McCarron finished six-of-six on the day for 133 yards and a touchdown. Alabama leads the Iron Bowl series, which dates back to 1893, 41-34-1. The Tide will clinch a berth in the SEC Championship game against Georgia with a win over the Tigers on Saturday.

Georgia Tech @ No. 3 Georgia, Saturday, noon, ESPN

The Georgia Bulldogs beat Georgia Southern last Saturday, 45-14. Aaron Murray lit up Georgia Southern’s secondary, passing for 330 yards and four touchdowns. The Dawgs struggled to contain the Eagles’ triple-option scheme, surrendering 5.2 yards per carry and 302 total rushing yards. However, Georgia’s defense managed to hold Georgia Southern to two touchdowns and forced two fumbles. The Bulldogs will face another triple-option team next weekend as they prepare to face in-state rival Georgia Tech. Tech became bowl eligible with a 42-24 victory over Duke. The Yellow Jackets ran for 330 yards against the Blue Devils and gained 449 total yards in the victory. If the Bulldogs beat Georgia Tech, they will be 11-1 heading into the SEC Championship game.

Kentucky @ Tennessee, Saturday, 12:21 p.m., SEC Network/ESPN3

Both the Volunteers and the Wildcats have undergone coaching turmoil during the past few weeks. Tennessee coach Derek Dooley was released from his duties Sunday and will not be on the sidelines against Kentucky. Joker Phillips will not return in 2013 but will coach the Wildcats on Saturday against the Volunteers. Tennessee struggled offensively last weekend, gaining only 303 yards against the Commodores. Quarterback Tyler Bray had his worst performance of the year, as the junior threw two interceptions and completed less than 50 percent of his passes. The loss was only the second time in 36 years that Tennessee fell to Vanderbilt. Kentucky earned just its second win of the season by beating Samford last Saturday. The Wildcats ran for more than 340 yards, and freshman quarterback Jalen Whitlow completed 10-of-13 passes for 113 passing yards and a touchdown.

No. 25 Mississippi State @ Ole Miss, Saturday, 7 p.m., ESPNU

The Bulldogs and the Rebels meet once again in one of the South’s oldest rivalries, the Egg Bowl. After leading Arkansas 17-14 at halftime, Mississippi State exploded in the second half to defeat the Razorbacks 45-14. Quarterback Tyler Russell threw for 274 yards and four touchdowns, helping the Bulldogs put up more than 500 yards of total offense in the win. Mississippi State moved to 8-3 on the season and 4-3 in the SEC by beating the Hogs. Ole Miss and LSU were tied 35-35 with less than a minute left when LSU running back Jeremy Hill ran into the endzone for the Tigers to take a 41-35 lead and win the game. The Rebels fought hard with the Tigers all night, outgaining them on the ground and through the air. Although quarterback Bo Wallace completed only 43 percent of his passes, he threw for 310 yards and two touchdowns against one of the SEC’s most formidable defenses.

No. 8 LSU @ Arkansas, Friday, 2:30 p.m., CBS

LSU narrowly escaped an upset Saturday by beating Ole Miss in the final minute. Junior quarterback Zach Mettenberger was 22-of-37 for 282 yards but threw two interceptions and no touchdowns. Although the Tiger defense was gashed for 316 passing yards and 463 total yards, LSU forced one fumble and three interceptions to stay in the game. Arkansas fell to 4-7 on the season and 2-5 in the SEC after losing to Mississippi State Saturday. Although senior quarterback Tyler Wilson completed 79 percent of his passes for 225 yards and two touchdowns, Wilson tossed two interceptions. The Razorbacks also lost three fumbles to the Bulldogs. “The Battle for the Boot” between LSU and Arkansas is typically fought in Baton Rouge, La., and Little Rock, Ark., but this year, Arkansas will host the Tigers in Fayetteville.

Missouri @ No. 9 Texas A&M, Saturday, 7 p.m. ESPN2

The two new additions to the SEC will meet Saturday to close out the 2012 regular season. If quarterback Johnny Manziel and the Aggies beat Missouri, then Texas A&M will end with a 6-2 SEC record in its first season as a member of the league. Last week, the Aggies went up by 40 points after the first three quarters to beat Sam Houston State, 47-28. Manziel threw for 267 yards and three touchdowns as the Aggies cruised to victory with nearly 530 total yards. Missouri will be fighting for a potential bowl bid after the Tigers fell to Syracuse last weekend. Missouri took a 17-10 lead into the half, but was outscored 21-10 in the fourth quarter. Quarterback James Franklin was injured during the game after completing 17 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns.

Vanderbilt @ Wake Forest, Saturday, 3:30 p.m., ESPNU

Vanderbilt finds itself on the verge of an 8-4 season. The Commodores will face off against ACC rival Wake Forest after beating Tennessee last Saturday. Senior quarterback Jordan Rodgers threw for 245 yards and two touchdowns to beat the Volunteers. The Commodores forced Tyler Bray, the leader of the SEC’s most prolific passing offense, to complete just 11-of-29 passes and picked him off twice. Wake Forest will attempt to win its sixth game and become bowl eligible against the Commodores this Saturday. Last week, the Demon Deacons were shut out on the road by then–No. 3 Notre Dame. Wake Forest compiled just 209 total yards and only 55 rushing yards in the 38-0 defeat.