Equestrian team ranked No. 1

Senior Audrey Jewell has gone 3-0 for the No. 1 USC equestrian team this year.

Gamecocks to compete with trio of top-10 teams

Unlike last year, there’s been no slow start to the 2012 season for the Gamecock equestrian team.

The efforts of coach Boo Major and her team paid off Wednesday when USC was named new No. 1 team in the country, its first top ranking since 2009.

Two years ago, the South Carolina equestrian team finished the season with an 11-12 record, 1-4 in the SEC. Last year, after another tough start to the season, the Gamecocks rebounded and went 13-8 while winning the Southern Championship.

So far this year, USC is 3-0, 2-0 in the SEC and has wins over then-No. 1 Georgia, No. 2 Auburn and No. 6 Oklahoma State. The Gamecocks wrap up the first half the season this weekend when the team plays three straight road games in Texas.

USC takes on Texas A&M Friday, Baylor on Saturday and SMU Sunday.

For Major, a perspective adjustment has been one of the main reasons that the Gamecocks have improved over the last couple of years.

“The whole team has had a little bit of an attitude change,” Major said. “I think we’re just more of a team now. (Two years ago) I think we had some egos that got in the way and there were some bad attitudes here and there. For me, the biggest thing I’ve seen with the team last year and even more so with the team this year is that everybody is on the same page. We don’t have any prima donnas. Everybody is trying to help everyone else.”

“There’s no one that thinks they’re better than anyone,” said senior Audrey Jewell. “We are all like a family here. A couple of years ago, before my time, I’m sure there were girls that kind of ran the team, but now it’s become such a family atmosphere and we are all just grateful to be here.”

Jewell has been one of the keys to the team’s success this season, as she has won all three of her events over the first three matches. Jewell knows what it is like to struggle through the tough times, and Major says that she has gained a lot more confidence over her time at USC.

“I think she has come a long way,” Major said. “The more confident she gets, the better she rides. I think she has come into this year feeling like she can beat anybody, and that’s a good way to be. If you lose, you lose, but if you get out there and feel like you gave everything you could give, then you have to be OK with yourself. I think she has kind of learned that and that has helped her a lot.”

Jewell said one of the most important changes in her game was that she started to have fun again and not let the sport stress her out.
USC’s No. 1 ranking will be put to the test right away, as it faces three top-10 opponents this weekend. No. 4 Texas A&M is also the defending national champion.

Major said she usually would be worried about her team being overconfident, but she added that she doesn’t think that will be a problem with this year’s “special” group.

Jewell reflected that worry and said that the team can’t let the No. 1 ranking go to their head.

“Just because we are No. 1 doesn’t mean we can’t be beat,” Jewell said. “We have to make sure that we keep moving forward and keep challenging ourselves. There’s always room for improvement, and we know that there’s a lot of things that we can improve on from the last meet that we were in. We can’t lose momentum.”