Government needs to invest in America

GOP needs to look to past, not Europe

Come and gaze over the so-called “fiscal cliff.” Gasp at the wonder that is Congress’ gross incompetency in getting a deal done. Behold the majesty that is the grossest of hypocrisy and lies spewed by Republicans, still in denial of just how soundly their methods have been rejected.

Regaining control of government finances should be simple. Broaden the tax base — that means making the super-rich, pay their fair share. Invest in rebuilding America’s crumbling infrastructure. Put money into bettering education. Cut back on a military that spends more than the next 24 countries combined, many of whom are our allies.

These are the cornerstones of the president’s budget proposal. It will be successful because history proves it so. President Eisenhower, a Republican, oversaw one of the greatest periods of economic prosperity this country has ever seen through this exact same model.

Today’s Republicans lack the conviction of Eisenhower. Today’s Tea Party-hijacked GOP is determined to destroy every single function of government save for those that enrich the rich and drive a Christian fundamentalist agenda.

Europe is proof that austerity fails. Economies are not salvaged by denying the poor access to food, housing and medical care. Economies are strengthened when everyone has the money to participate in the markets. This is not the time to cut services to the bone; this is the time to invest in America — and make sure that corporations that benefit from our free markets invest in it, too.