Gay rights see unprecedented growth, progress

Inauguration speech represents step forward

President Barack Obama has made history once again. During his second inauguration speech, he invoked the words of Martin Luther King Jr. and called for true equality in America, specifically for gay Americans. It marks the first time any president has made a direct nod to the struggles of gay Americans during an inaugural address, and this reference couldn’t come at a more important time.

Gay Americans and their issues have been largely left out of mainstream until recently. In the past, the needs of this large, diverse group of people were swept under the rug and mostly ignored, but now gay rights have become the new “hot topic.” And although public opinion may still be split, it’s important to note the country we have become in regard to gay issues, especially in these past few years.

We have become a country that no longer considers homosexuality to be a mental disorder, and we’ve passed countless anti-discrimination laws on the basis of sexual orientation.We have become a country where nine states and the District of Columbia allow gay marriage and a nation where its gay members of our armed forces can serve openly.

It’s absolutely mind-boggling how quickly this has happened, especially given the lengths other groups had to go to achieve full equality under the law. But it appears that the struggle for gay rights will be different. It’s important to note that we have evolved so quickly, and if Obama’s inauguration speech is any indication, it seems the gay rights movement will achieve all its key goals soon.