North Korea must be restrained

US should take precautions against impending danger 

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea continues to be the world’s most perplexing nation after its release of a rather bold statement regarding its nuclear weapons program’s clear intent to “target” the United States in its continued testing, despite United Nations sanctions. Although Kim Jong Un, North Korea’s largely unproven leader, seemed focused on economic reformation for his starving country, this turn of events regarding the “needlessly provocative” testing, according to the White House, may prove to be the catalyst for the adoption of former leader Kim Jong Il’s militant methodology. 

The good news is an optimistic estimate on North Korea’s behalf would place its missiles’ ranges at roughly the capability required to hit Hawaii, with continental United States viable in a three-to-five-year span. Slightly more comforting is that in its statement last week, North Korea clearly stated its weapons program was strictly a means of deterrence. However, regardless of their intentions, the people of North Korea can expect additional sanctions placed upon them, sanctions preemptively approved by China, North Korea’s greatest ally. These sanctions, which would continue to isolate North Korea and further economically punish a country already struggling with food shortages, are what make its nuclear tantrums a foreign policy nightmare.

One versed in North Korea’s recent history might assume this outburst is another plea for help from a country ailing from, among other things, a serious inferiority complex. Its people need aid, but the infantile cycle leaders employ to gain it is one President Barack Obama promised to break years ago. But North Korea does not seem receptive to foreign aid as a means of resolution. Even worse, intelligence officials have suggested that Kim Jong Un may be assuming a confrontational attitude with the West as a means to gain power rather than create economic reforms. It’s never safe to jump to conclusions when North Korea is involved, though this time we may need to treat the nation like the cornered and desperate animal it is. If it continues to betray its patterned behavior and deny aid, as well as recklessly stare down continued sanctions, Washington, D.C., and Beijing may need to convene in order to contain the situation.

China has already voiced its support on tougher sanctions, though China still needs North Korea to be able to continue its testing program as well as preserve trade relations in the East China Sea. The United States and China both agree, at least superficially, that steps need to be taken to limit North Korea, although where the United States would like disarmament, China only desires containment.

Given the clashing ideals, an explicit agreement may never be found. But there is a foundation for coordinated military precautions in the event that serious nuclear action must be carried out to address the increasing instability in North Korea.