In Brief: March 6, 2013

Poll: Most SC residents support Medicaid growth

South Carolina won’t be participating in an expansion of Medicaid, but a majority of older residents support one, according to a new poll.

The AARP surveyed residents 45 and older and found 54 percent favored the Medicaid expansion included in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, or “Obamacare,” The Post and Courier reported.

According to the AARP, it would make 329,000 more South Carolinians eligible for the program.

The expansion was made optional by the Supreme Court in 2012, and South Carolina — led by Gov. Nikki Haley, state Health and Human Services Director Tony Keck and Republican legislators — has opted out, according to The Post and Courier.

—Thad Moore, News Editor

Suspect spends $1k of stolen cash on pizza

Someone in Irmo’s evidently hungry for pizza.

Lexington County deputies are investigating a case of credit card fraud that included more than $1,000 of food at a Pizza Hut on St. Andrews Road, WIS reports.

Over the course of 21 transactions, the suspect — police aren’t sure who — racked up a total of $1,047.96 in purchases, a representative of Pizza Hut’s corporate office told investigators.

The suspect had been ordering food with two different names and addresses.

In all, the representative said, the Irmo location has seen 64 other purchases that involved fraud.

—Thad Moore, News Editor

TSA to allow some pocket knives on planes

Flying home for spring break? Don’t try to take your pocket knife on board — not yet, at least.

The Transportation Security Administration announced it would start letting passengers take pocket knives on planes, as long as they’re not more than 2.36 inches long and half an inch wide.

In an average month, a large airport will rack up 850 pounds of carry-ons prohibited by the TSA and jettisoned by passengers. About half of that consists of knives.

The change will start April 25, and, as The Wall Street Journal described it, it’s “one of the biggest moves to scale back the stringent airport-security measures established after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.”

—Thad Moore, News Editor