In our opinion: Dance Marathon gives generously to children

Every year, hundreds of hyped-up students, volunteers and children head to the Strom to rave for 24 straight hours. The largest student-run philanthropic event in the state of South Carolina, USC Dance Marathon has been dancing hard for more than a decade to raise money for the Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital, an affiliate of the Children’s Miracle Network.

This year, however, USCDM managed to outrave its previous years, raising $224,510 over the course of the weekend, a nearly 30-percent increase from the $177,229 it got last year. Not only did USCDM raise more money this year, its also saw a significant increase in participants, up more than 150 dancers from last year.

For 24 hours, $224,510 is a pretty big deal, not to mention the weeks of personal fundraising its many participants devote their time and energy to, all leading up to one mentally and physically exhausting, sleepless night. Dance Marathon has been a great opportunity for students to give back to the community and “stand up” (or in this case, dance) for sick children and showcase their efforts in a fun and energetic way.

USCDM is often stigmatized for being one large Greek Life dance party, but the $50,000 increase in fundraising over just one year shows us it’s more than that. They’ve succeeded in generating huge funds and awareness throughout the state, and we applaud them for that.