Women should have more roles in government

Pierson appointment a step toward equality

While women make up about 51 percent of the U.S. population, they hold only 14 percent of government positions. This statistic provides just a glimpse at how unbalanced the gender division is in America’s government and culture.

In the 2012 election women cracked the lingering glass ceiling, making a tremendous step forward. From it the U.S. government gained a diverse group of women for the first time in history.
Recently, President Barack Obama elected Julia Pierson as head of the Secret Service, a position normally controlled by men. Pierson has experience from more than 30 years in the Secret Service, holding positions in management and scams. The United States Secret Service was created to investigate counterfeit U.S. money and protect the president and vice president. Having a female controlling the safety of the most important person in government arguably breaks traditional gender roles.

Margaret Moore, president of Women in Federal Law Enforcement, explains the impact of a female director as head of the Secret Service: “It validates that women have contributions to make in law enforcement, and they’re finally in place where they can take these positions.”
Such a paramount title is accompanied by respect and status — qualities that aid in debunking negative stereotypes for women in the workforce. Key female role models representing different aspects of government show our youth that regardless of one’s gender, hard work can lead to success.