New faces take over at linebacker

Linebacker Cedric Cooper will miss start of season

One of the biggest questions for South Carolina coming into the 2013 season was who would play linebacker.

Last year, the linebacker and spur position was stockpiled with seniors including Devonte Holloman, Quin Smith, Shaq Wilson and Damario Jeffrey.

The new class of linebackers will have to replace most of the tackles and leadership lost from last season, but linebacker coach Kirk Botkin said he is confident in the new group.

“It’s a luxury to have the depth we have right now,” Botkin said. “They’re a little young, a little green still, but they are getting there.”

Botkin said he will rotate players until he finds the most effective players.

But while secondary coach Grady Brown plans to use different players at different positions, Botkin said his plan is to train his to be good in one position. He tried training the younger players in multiple positions earlier in the preseason, but it didn’t work out, he said.

Because of the leadership and experience Botkin had last season, he was able to successfully cross-train players.

The most recent depth chart has sophomore Kaiwan Lewis taking over the middle linebacker position. The New Jersey native appeared in 11 games last season, all on special teams, and was named the Most Improved Linebacker during the spring.

Lewis said he is helping younger players like freshman Jonathan Walton adjust to the college game and hopes to stay healthy this season.

“I’m just trying to be a good leader and stay out there on the field,” Lewis said. “As long as my legs are working, I can play. (Walton) has been doing real good, but coming from high school, it’s a lot of plays, so his head is spinning a little bit. But I was in the same position last year, so I’m helping him come along.”

Behind Lewis at middle linebacker are redshirt freshman T.J. Holloman and Walton. While Lewis has the most experience of the group, Botkin said Walton has done “some really good things” and is pushing for playing time.

Meanwhile, at the weakside linebacker position, redshirt sophomore Marcquis Roberts is slated to take over. Roberts has dealt with injuries throughout his career, but finally became healthy for the spring and impressed Botkin.

Chasing Roberts at weakside linebacker are two true freshmen, Skai Moore and Larenz Bryant.
“Marcquis has a little bit of an edge because he has a spring under his belt and was able to knock some rust off and finish the spring strong,” Botkin said. “He had a really good (fall) camp and I’m excited about him.”

Botkin said to “keep an eye on” Moore because of his progress over the summer and fall camps.
Bryant, Moore and Roberts were pushed into action after Cedrick Cooper injured his elbow. Cooper will likely miss at the least the home opener against North Carolina. He also missed all of spring practice because of a knee injury he suffered in the Outback Bowl.

One of the more experienced players remaining at the linebacker and spur positions, Sharrod Golightly, is set to take over at spur. The redshirt junior has appeared on special teams over the last two years and shared Most Improved Safety honors with redshirt freshman Jordan Diggs, who is his primary competition.

“I think Golightly has kind of separated himself as the guy right now,” Botkin said. “Diggs is coming along and doing some okay things, but Golightly is doing some really good things right now.”