Gamecocks open conference season

<p>Sophomore midfielder Ryan Arambula leads the team in shots, but has not scored</p>
Sophomore midfielder Ryan Arambula leads the team in shots, but has not scored

South Carolina takes on UNC-Charlotte Friday

The young, battle-tested South Carolina men’s soccer team will travel this Friday to take on a big, physical Charlotte team.

Coach Mark Berson said that in the contest, his Gamecocks (2-4-2) will look to convert scoring opportunities, be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball and work on placing the ball in position for attackers to score.

The defense for South Carolina has been effective early this season, but a difficulty finding the back of the net has plagued the team this fall.

“Capitalizing on scoring opportunities is a function of two things. No. 1, you have to have the opportunity. In other words, you have to create the scoring opportunities, which we’ve done.

We’ve done a pretty good job of that in big games,” Berson said. “No. 2, you have to finish. And that’s the complicated part.”

Practicing its timing and working on the technical breakdowns of the game are what Berson believes will help his team open up scoring chances.

Sophomore midfielder Ryan Arambula said the team is working on scoring and making the most of its opportunities. He believes showing the effort and having the right attitude toward the game will help the unit that has dubbed itself the “New Regime” have the mentality of doing whatever it takes to come out winners.

“We have to work real hard in practice this week and focus on the little things, because we are doing well in the games,” Arambula said. “We just need to get the goals. I think the little details will help us win.”

After racking up three consecutive losses in a road trip that saw South Carolina play three nationally ranked opponents, Berson said he believes the team has found its identity amid its suffering.

Berson said confidence has been restored in the young players after two draws over the weekend, and the team now has a structure that did not exist earlier this year. Players are beginning to play into their positions and understand their roles and responsibilities for the team.

“They have a great attitude towards the game; they pick up things quickly,” Berson said. “There’s four guys that are playing major roles for us early in their career, so it’s been a steep learning curve, but their willingness to learn is key, and the fighting power and the attitude of the group is exceptional.”

Freshman goalkeeper Marco Velez has allowed only two goals in five games since his first career start against Coastal Carolina after replacing junior Robert Beebe between the posts.

The defenders have done well communicating with Velez and protecting the box from attackers and cutters coming in and disrupting him.

“We didn’t have too much doubt about Marco’s ability, but also, we didn’t count on him being thrust in there that quickly, so he’s certainly done a great job of rising to the occasion,” Berson said. “The way he’s played has not been a surprise; the fact he’s played so well so quickly is certainly a great thing.”

South Carolina will kick off its contest with the 49ers at 7 p.m. Friday, as the Gamecocks look to snap a five-game stretch without a win in their first Conference USA action of the season.