Gamecocks play UAB in final road game of season

Contest with Blazers could decided 2nd place in C-USA

This Sunday, the men’s soccer team will take the field for what will be their final away game of the season against arguably be their toughest opponent to date.

The UAB Blazers, who come in sporting the highest-scoring offense in the country, have been a force to be reckoned with this season, ranking 10th in the latest NCAA Coaches poll. The Blazers have steam-rolled through the second half of their schedule, winning 8 of their last 9, with their sole loss coming in overtime to No. 20 Old Dominion.

UAB has outscored its opponents this season 34-12 and the team’s leading goal scorer, Freddy Ruiz – who is also tied for 10th in the nation in scoring – has found the net as many times as the Gamecocks’ top 3 goal-scorers combined.

Entering Sunday’s game on the heels of a crucial overtime win against No. 25 New Mexico, the Gamecocks (6-5-5, 3-1-3 C-USA), who have struggled offensively this year, are looking for someone to step up and be a hero.

The upset-minded Gamecocks are looking for just their second win away from Stone Stadium this year and may end up having to rely on their steadfast defense, having allowed just 4 goals in their last 6 games, to take home the victory.

The turning point in the game may, in fact, come in the second half, when the Gamecocks average substantially more goals, shots, and corners than the first.

On the flip side, UAB has struggled in the last 45 minutes, giving up more than twice the amount of goals they’ve allowed before halftime.

Whoever wins will retain sole possession of second place in the conference, which may turn out to be crucial with the C-USA tournament rapidly approaching.

At this point in the season, there’s no room for error and whichever team comes out more disciplined and focused on Sunday could walk away with a victory.