‘Confessions of a Good Man’ features family ties, lies

Novel-turned-play captures parent-child relationships

Looking for a satisfying show that spills family secrets that are filled with drama? “Confessions of a Good Man” is exactly the play for anyone who can relate to problems within a family or those who simply love to hear secrets.

The show is based on Kevin A. Rasberry’s book, “The Evolution of a Good Man,” in which the audience gets a glimpse into the mind of a father and his struggles while his sons take three extremely different paths as they aspire to be like him. While the brothers are trying to follow their different interests, family lies and secrets are spilled along the way that may either destroy or release them from their self-identity.

Director Donna Johnson tries to realistically capture the effect that parents have on their children and has overcome the many challenges of bringing a story on paper to life in the nine months that the play has been showing.

There are a total of 14 actors involved and about 20 crew members that helped make this play at WOW Productions a success.

Dana Bufford, who plays Kesha, an independent single mom who wants the best life for her son, said of the cast: “They are a very special group of talented people that I wouldn’t change for the world.” She has had roles in notable plays like “For Colored Girl” and “Defying Gravity,” and she has even worked with Tyler Perry Studios on several projects.

The show is playing at the Harbison Theatre in Irmo Friday, Nov. 8, at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Nov. 9, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20.