Off-Off Broadway raises money for charity

‘Off Off Brothel’ production brings awareness to sex slavery in United States

Starting Thursday, musical theater group Off-Off Broadway will premier its production “Off Off Brothel” to raise awareness for the Polaris Project at Benson Theatre. This play is an original story with the integration of popular songs written by Caroline Powell and directed by Brittnie Cooper and Trey Stoddard.

The Polaris Project is an organization that deals with global, modern-day human trafficking, slavery and prostitution on a domestic level. Off Off Brothel is a dark comedy, but its purpose is to open the eyes of the viewers to an important social issue.

“We want people to realize that sex slavery is a continuing issue. It occurs not only in Thailand, China … but also here, in the United States. You can’t fix something unless you realize there’s a problem,” said Christina Ta, the president of Off-Off Broadway, in a written response.

Off-Off Broadway’s Musical Revues do not charge for admission; therefore, all earnings come directly from patron donations. Half of all proceeds from “Off Off Brothel” will be donated directly to the Polaris Project.

Jay Titus, a first-year economics student, has taken pleasure in the preparation of his first Off-Off Broadway show.

“I’ve just really enjoyed all of it: getting to know people and making friends,” Titus said. “The rehearsals are long … but they’re really fun when you get to put on a good show.”

Titus added that he was very lucky to find Off-Off Broadway his first semester, and he could see himself continuing with this club for the next four years here.

A fourth-year art education student, Charlotte Furr, is an Off-Off Broadway veteran. As her fifth Off-Off Broadway production, Furr is head of set design and social chair for “Off Off Brothel.” Furr normally just sings and helps out, but for “Off Off Brothel,” she took on more responsibilities. “This show is actually the first time I’ve gotten an acting role and have had to learn lines,” Furr said. “This show is definitely more risqué, and it’s fun because that’s something you normally don’t get to experience.”

When asked about the premiere of “Off Off Brothel,” Furr suggested those in attendance to keep an open mind. “Come, have fun, enjoy the show, laugh a little, but definitely take something home from it.”

“Off Off Brothel” premieres at 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 7 at Benson Theater with free admission.