Trustus Theatre holds “Latino Mes” 2013

Celebration of Hispanic culture kicks off with various performances at Trustus Side Door Theatre in the Vista.

All events begin at 8 p.m. Tickets cn be purchased at trustus.org or at the door and cost $22 for adults and $15 for students.
Latino Mes 2013 kicks off its celebration of Hispanic and Latino culture with various performances at the Trustus Side Door Theatre in the Vista.

“El Diario de un Psiquiatra,” Nov. 11-13

Premiering Monday, the newest play by Colombian playwright Julia Vargas, “El Diario de un Psiquiatra” will take the stage through Wednesday, Nov. 13. Directed by Betsy Newman and performed by Columbia’s own La Tropa, the play will be spoken entirely in Spanish with English supertitles.
Set in a mental hospital, victims of love — including a politician, a transvestite, a sex offender, a split personality and a victim of sexual abuse — explore their experiences with Dr. Buendiá and his version of talk therapy.
This fierce production roasts the conventions of the church, the state and sex, rounding out in a surprise ending.

“Noches Lunáticas” Nov. 21-23

“Lunatic Nights” is an exploration of Latino film, dance and literature.

Nov. 21: Noche de Luces, Cámara y Acción
Gustavo Montaña will show his films and stick around for a chat all about his inspiration: the Latinos and artists of Columbia, South Carolina, their battles, their passions and the meaning they hold for Montaña as a filmmaker. This event is available in English and Spanish.

Nov. 22: Noche de Teatro

Bolivian performance artist Diego Mattos Vazualdo brings his original production ASTERIÓN to the Side Door Theatre, a variation of the mythological Minotaur’s hardship in the labyrinth. A hard look at the differences in past and present, dreams and memories, this performance explores all the facets of personal journeys and personal labyrinths.

Nov. 23: Noche de Fiesta

Vista Ballroom will host a Tango Party, and demonstrations are free. There will be short introductory classes in Latin Salsa, Bachata, Merengue and Argentine Tango. Two DJs will fueling the dancing all night in two salons at Vista Ballroom.
La Tropa is a troupe composed of Columbians from various countries in South America, such as Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. They are dedicated to presenting original Spanish-language theatre and preserving the ties to their native cultures, as well as giving those Spanish speakers of the Midlands entertainment in their native language.

Palmetto y Luna serves as producer/sponsor of La Tropa, and also organizes a number of other events designed in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. The organization works to foster an understanding of Hispanic/Latino culture in a variety of artistic outlets and to provide an opportunity for cultural expression for Hispanic/Latino communities of South Carolina. P&L sponsors a kids’ drawing contest, a book club, an amateur poetry contest and an art-centered fundraiser for the oldest Hispanic/Latino non-profit, Acercamiento Hispano de Carolina del Sur.