The Sea Wolf Mutiny find themselves

Local indie rock group strive for new sound, new horizons

The Sea Wolf Mutiny is far from your average five-piece indie rock band. The Columbia group has gone through its ups and down within the last year.

Whether it was finding a place for the band to practice or juggling careers, families and attending classes, the members of The Sea Wolf Mutiny have faced a number of obstacles in following their dream.

“Last year was a tough one,” said lead singer and pianist Bobby Hatfield. “We have been through a lot and processed a lot, matured more I think as people, and that is already starting to transfer into our new record.”

The indie folk band found its sound through a transition of different instruments and musicians. Former Calculator drummer Michael Crawford joined guitarist Danny Oakes, bassist Dave Ohlman and Hatfield to create an experimental sound. Another addition to The Sea Wolf Mutiny is rhythm guitarist Phil Windsor.

“We didn’t have a rhythm guitarist for so long,” Hatfield said. “So adding a second rhythm element allowed us to split the difference and spread the wealth.”

In addition to adding more shows to their calendars, Hatfield said the folk rock band is in the process of creating a new record.

“Nothing is concrete yet, but a lot of things are brewing,” he said. “We are in talks with trying to get a support system (and) booking throughout the region, so we can get some room carved out in front of the record.”

Since the release of their debut album, “The Last Season,” the members of The Sea Wolf Mutiny say they have been rediscovering themselves through the writing process by taking ideas and expanding them.

“The song approach is something we have been learning together this year,” Hatfield said. “I begin with an idea that is clear to me lyrically that I can grab hold of or a question that is bugging me like an itch.”

The list of artists that have influenced the rich sound the band produces is diverse as it is fitting. Carole King, U2 and even the Charleston-based Bands of Horses are among the artists that account for the complex and captivating sound of The Sea Wolf Mutiny.

“We discovered that we really wanted to make music because we couldn’t make sense, initially, of all our influences and the sound we wanted,” said Hatfield. “We just knew we had a tone we felt mattered. … We are compelled more by ideas than anything else.”

Hatfield said he and the other members of The Sea Wolf Mutiny are excited about the year to come and the new opportunities it may bring. They plan to release a new album and host a number of shows in 2014.

“Hopefully we will change expectations,” Hatfield said. “So here is to a new year, a year of no excuses.”