In Brief: Feb. 21

Forum features candidates for Columbia police chief

The four Columbia police chief finalists answered questions on topics such as how they would navigate the bureaucracy and how they would maintain their ethics and principles on the job during a forum Wednesday night, The State reported.

A fifth finalist also pulled his name from consideration this week.

The City Council chambers had standing room only, as the forum served as the public’s only chance to see the four candidates.

Each of the candidates was given three minutes to answer seven questions. After answering the questions, the candidates did not stay to speak with members of the public.

The four candidates are Tony Fisher, the retired director of Spartanburg’s public safety department; William Holbrook, chief of the Huntington, W.Va., Police Department; Bryan Norwood, former chief of the Richmond, Va., Police Department; and Gregory Reese, the chief of security forces for the Air Force Space Command at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado.

Gorilla adjusts to new home at Riverbanks Zoo

A 23-year-old Western lowland gorilla has found a new home at the Riverbanks Zoo after living at the Dallas Zoo for 18 years, WIS reported.

Patrick was one of the most beloved animals at the Dallas Zoo, but he had trouble forming relationships the other gorillas in the exhibit. His former home worked with little success to create relationships for Patrick.

Riverbanks officials have said that Patrick is reacting well to his new surroundings and the other gorillas in the exhibit, Chaka, Mike and Ajari.

“We’ve spent the last few months getting Patrick acclimated to his new home, and the introduction process has gone extremely well,” said John Davis, curator of mammals at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, according to WIS. “Patrick is full of personality and loves to interact with his keepers and the public. We are excited to have him at Riverbanks.”

Patrick currently lives separate from the other gorillas, but he is in close contact through sight and smell.

South Carolina universities criticized for assigned readings

Some public colleges in South Carolina are being criticized for the books they assign to students, The State reported.

Budget writers in the state House voted to take away almost $70,000 from the College of Charleston and USC Upstate for having freshmen read books with gay themes.

The amount of money the universities spent on the required-reading books last year. USC Upstate lost $17,000 for teaching “Out Loud: The Best of Rainbow Radio,” and the College of Charleston lost $52,000 for “Fun Home.”

“One of the things I learned over the years is that if you want to make a point, you have to make it hurt,” said State Rep. Garry Smith, a Greenville Republican who pushed punishing the schools for their book choices, according to The State. “I understand academic freedom, but this is not academic freedom. … This was about promoting one side with no academic debate involved.”